Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

pekingese: first litter..vet yesterday for hyperther.....vet office…

Customer Question
My pekingnese just had her...
My pekingnese just had her first litter just 11 days ago and was taken to the vet yesterday for hyperther...? it seems that the vet diagnostic was that "Dot" lost extreme amount of calcium levels so I have to feed the litter. she seems very sad and the puppies as well do not to take the formula Esmilac that was givin to me at the vet office she keeps on sneaking in to see her pups and feeds them!!!! The vet had told me not to let her feed or it could happen again!!! Help.... I don't know what to do she feeding t hem now and won't let me taking away!!!! Help!!!!!!! Terry Paso Robles California
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Pet
4/1/2006
Pet Specialist: NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed replied 12 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
You may find the pups will do better on goats milk and a daily dose of liquid puppy vitamins than on the formula. www.meyenberg.com may help you find a source for that.
She will try to put every bit of calcium in her into the milk for the puppies so you do have to keep them from nursing so she won't have a calcium drop again. It would be better for her if she didn't have another litter too.
If you can get her milk to dry up she will be able to be with the pups again to at least clean them.
If you cannot keep her away from the pups she needs to be getting plenty of calcium to help her. I feed my nursing dams on goats milk as much as they want the whole time they nurse. But in this case it really is dangerous and could be deadly for her to nurse so its better that you get her to dry up her milk and not feed the pups. The stimulation from the pups will make her keep producing milk.
Do you have a friend who could take her for a couple of days and keep her safely away from the pups?
I know she will be sad but as you love her you don't want her to die from having puppies. She will get over the pups hard as it seems.
You can read about your dog's problem, which is commonly called eclampsia, here
http://www.gsdhelpline.com/milkfever.htm
Hope this helps you!