Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

chow-lab mix: of her shots and flea treatments..put in her crate..chew…

Customer Question
Hi my names is Jessica...
Hi my names is Jessica and I have a chow-lab mix. She is up to date on all of her shots and flea treatments. I when back to work the first part of this year and she is put in her crate when I am gone ( She is still a pup about a year and loves to chew.) She has been ripping the hair out of her back and rump. To the point it is bleeding and she is bald from mid back down. We took her to the vet and they did a test for mite it was negitive. They told me to give her benidrill once a day and wash her with a medicated shampoo. This didn't work. We have bought her a cone for her head when we are not home and we have even tried Comfert Zone thinking it may be anxiety. If she gets this cone off her head it is a bloody mess. She will rip all the hair out and chew till she is bleeding. Please help me I have ran out of money trying to keep my dog from eating her self to deadth. Do you have ant ideas what I can do to help her.
Thanks for your time
Jessica
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Pet
4/2/2006
Pet Specialist: Christina, Pet owner replied 12 years ago
Christina
Christina, Pet owner
This behavior could be boredom. She doesn't have anything to do all day and loves to chew so she chews anything she can reach.
It might also be seperation anxiety. Dogs are devoted family members and are very uncomfortable being left alone. She's sad and has no other way to tell you.
Can you pen her up in a larger room, say your kitchen or a bathroom? Make sure it is "Puppy Proof", nothing in reach that can possibly get into her mouth, and escape proof. Get a toy (or two) that dispences food when it is rolled on the floor. Don't leave her with any toy she may chew pieces off of and choke on. This will give her something to do while you are away. Something to focus on besides her back side. Leave the cone on her until the wound heals AND you are sure that she won't hurt herself again.
It may also be allergies. Food allergies are becoming common in dogs. Check the ingredients list on her food for beef, corn, wheat, wheat gluten and milk products. These are the most common causes of itchy skin. Consider changing her gradually to a food that does not contain any of these ingredients. You will find them at a feed store, not a chain like Petco or Petsmart. Check the internet, Natura Pet Foods has one of the best.
You might also consider a dog walker. There are companies that will come to your house during the day while you are at work and play with your dog, take her for a walk and generally check on her and make her feel loved.
Good Luck.