Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I have a 5 yr old beagle, We went away for 2 weeks leaving ...

Customer Question
I have a 5 yr...
I have a 5 yr old beagle, We went away for 2 weeks leaving him with a friend. since we got backhis stomach is gurgling a LOT. I think he has to goto the rrand he does but it is solid - he wants to eat some of the grasses outside. Do you think this is something that a vet should have a look at?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Pet
4/1/2006
Pet Specialist: Pauline Dunn, B.S.deg/An.Sci/extensive experience replied 12 years ago
Pauline Dunn
Pauline Dunn, B.S.deg/An.Sci/extensive experience
I am assuming here that your friend takes caring your dog seriously and fed him his usual food on a regular basis. Does he have a good appetite now? Is he acting normally and does he otherwise seem healthy? Is there any way at all that your friend kept him where he could have eaten a small toy or house plant or something else? You don't say how long you have been back home and how long he has been back with you ...sometimes when dogs feel sick, they will eat grass in an effort to aid in vomiting or digestion.
When you say gurgling ALOT, is it different than hunger rumblings? Has he had a normal bowel movelment or any bowel movement since you have been home- and can you please be specific as to how long this has been going on so I can try to help you better? Thanks ..
Relist:
Had to rush dog to vet - sat, sorry
bad viral intestinal infection. he is doing much better now thank you.
Thank God you took no chances and sought medical care for him so quickly- as you more than likely saved his life by not waiting to bring him to the vet right away.
Did your vet give you any ideas as to what caused the infection? Was it something he ate or an intestinal obstruction perhaps?
Thank goodness it happened when you got home and not while your were away - I don't know if your friend would have noticed the symptoms could be a sign of something very serious or even life threatening. I am not saying that he wouldn't have taken him to the vet eventually, but he might have waited. Of course I could be totally wrong by stating that, but I do know that we know our 'kids' better than anyone else, and always know right away when something is wrong long before anyone else notices.
Thank you for updating me...your dog is lucky to have you for his owner since it is obvious that you love him very much and take very good care of him.

I am also happy that he is doing much better now as that means that he responded to the meds very quickly and that is ALWAYS a sign of a quick and FULL recovery!

Let me know the outcome or if you have any other
concerns or questions- My thoughts and prayers are with you guys..:-)
Again, thank you so much for the update!

Take care-