I have had a betta in one of the fish bowl vases for about 2 weeks. the first week and a half the betta was doing great,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i have had a betta in one of the fish bowl vases for about 2 weeks. the first week and a half the betta was doing great, everytime I would get on the computer (he is on the desk) he would come to the side facing me and watch me. well for the last 3 days he has stayed at the top of the vase, in the roots of the peace lily that I have on the top and he wont swim around or anything. He keeps his head out of the water alot and its like he is trying to get air but I dont understand why. Please tell me why he is acting this way and what I need to do before I lose him.....Thank You
Answered by Elizabeth in 1 hour 16 years ago
imglogo
Elizabeth
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Beta's that are put in ornamental fish bowls or plant bowls need fresh water changes, and often. When fish live in tanks, tanks have filters to remove fish waste and left over foods that break down if left in the tank for too long. In a bowl, there is nothing to remove the toxins from the water as there is no filtration, so before long the water turns foul and all kinds of things can start happening. The best thing to do for the little guy is to treat for stress. Do a 35-50% water change, and from now on do weekly partial changes. When adding new water, if you are not using declorinated water, add NovAqua, or a similar product that removes the chlorine and metals from tap water. This product also reduces stress in fish and adds electrolytes, so it is the one I prefer. I would add 1/2 teaspoon table salt per a gal. of water. I use Doc Wellfish's Freshwater Aquarium salt, but table salt will work in a pinch. Just make sure it is not ionized table salt. Take a glass and mix the salt in with some water before putting it into the bowl. That way you don't dump salt on top of the fish. If your bowl is equivalent to a half gallon, use 1/4 tsp., etc.

Beta's like a varity of food, so make sure you feed Beta bites and Freeze dried Bloodworms, in addition to flake foods. Beta's don't do well if only given a flake diet. Beta's also like heat (temps 76-78o) and a bowl isn't equipped with a heater. I kept mine warm by having a low wattage lamp nearby. It provided just enough heat, but not too much to cook him.

Heat, salt, clean water and good food should make your Beta snap out of his funk. If he is still listing around in a couple of days, and you think he might have a bacterial infection (from poor water conditions,) there is a great Beta medicine called BetaMax. I have pulled many a Beta through with it. Just be careful that you don't overdose and be sure to adjust the recommended dosage per the size of the Beta's bowl.

It didn't take me long to realize that a bowl/vase was not a home that would keep a Beta healthy and happy for too long. I invested $20.00 and got him a 2 gallon plastic tank (from K-mart) that came complete. My Beta lived to a ripe old age of 2. I now have a Beta show tank and my Beta is housed in a 4 gallon tank. If you want your Beta to live out his full life, think about getting him a tank sometime down the road. It is much easier to treat a sick fish when treating in a tank. I hope this information has help you. The best of luck to you and your Beta.

bhamann200138755.0628649306
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Elizabeth
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Elizabeth
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.