Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My 4 yr. old Mastiff has been getting pimple-like sores on ...

Customer Question
My 4 yr. old Mastiff...
My 4 yr. old Mastiff has been getting pimple-like sores on her mouth. What causes them and what can I do to help them go away and or prevent them completely?

Optional Information:
Age: 4; Female; Breed: English Mastiff

Already Tried:
Just cleaning them.

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Pet
11/21/2005
Pet Specialist: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 12 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Do they look like cauliflower? Or just pimples?
They look like pimples.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: They look like pimples.

The most common cause of what you are seeing is a herpes type virus. It's more common in some breeds than others. You should go ahead and see the vet with her for an exam and to find out exactly what you are dealing with. Then you can get an appropriate medication. Herpes in pets is a virus and is much like the problems that people have.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Will the Herpes pop like a pimple? These have actually popped and yellow substance is coming out just like a human pimple.

They might or might not. If these are truly acne, you can clean them with an alcohol swab and it should help to clear it up. I would be concerned (if these are pimples) that you are seeing contact dermatitis.

You should also evaluate the food bowls and water dishes. Some dogs have allergic reactions to metal bowls and you will see lesions that look like acne but are not. If the bowls are not cleaned well, it also might be a bacterial problem.

Sometimes there aren't any pustules just black grainy/sticky stuff around the lips that scrapes off easily - sort of like blackheads gone wild. You can try cleaning it up with alcohol at home - sometimes that is enough to help if there is no other inflammation or pustules. Calendula gel is a good antimicrobial and skin healing promoter. Plastic bowls can cause a contact dermatitis also, but this sounds more like acne.

Your vet can quickly diagnose this for you and discuss your treatment options.

I hope this helps more!

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert