Ive just rescued a three and a half mos. old Pit mix and am having a problem with her biting. She is teething now she

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Ive just rescued a three and a half mos. old Pit bull mix and am having a problem with her biting. She is teething now she only bites when she is playing How do i get her to realize that she cannot bite us??? Please help!!

Optional Information: Age: <1; Female; Breed: Pit Bull mix
Already Tried:
Saying No!!!Bite!! Putting a chew toy in her mouth, Apple bitter spray on hands then she bites where it isn't.
Answered by Tammy in 3 mins 17 years ago
imglogo
Tammy
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

It sounds like he's treating you like a sibling and is trying to engage you in play just like he would a brother or sister. Now you need to treat him like his MOTHER would if he did this to her. She would snap and snarl and would ignore him completely until he behaved. You need to do the same thing. Firmly put him away from you and get your hands out of reach. If he jumps on you, turn your back on him and don't pay any attention to him at all. Don't put anything in her mouth or acknowlege her at all. When she settles down, YOU engage HER in play and make it a fun time as long as she behaves. When you say it's time to stop, it's time to stop.

She will soon fall in line.

I would recommend a behavior class for the two of you so that you can stay in control of her.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Tammy
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Tammy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.