Female bearded dragon about 8-9 months old. She has stopped eating bugs and barely touches other food for the past week

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: second opinion] Female bearded dragon about 8-9 months old. She has stopped eating bugs and barely touches other food for the past week or so. I thought it was because she was stressed due to another dragon so they have been separated and all new set up that is similar to her previous so it didn’t shock her too much. The only thing I can get her to eat is reptiboost formula I have to push in her mouth with a syringe. She doesn’t fight it much and does it eat it but I’m not sure what is going on why she is still refusing most food.
JA: The Vet will know if the Bearded Dragon can have that. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Bearded Dragon also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: She does tend to hide about halfway through the day or if I have her out she doesn’t run around much.
JA: Does the Bearded Dragon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Not that I can tell. I thought maybe she had an injury in her mouth but I can’t pry her mouth open and I don’t see anything when the syringe is in so I don’t think so
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is around 9 months old I think
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that is it
Answered by Anna in 42 mins 6 months ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and thank you for requesting me. I’m sorry to hear that Peanut is not well. Young dragons normally have voracious appetites. When they don’t, something is wrong. The first thing to check is temperatures. Right under the basking light, it should be at least 105*F, with 110’F to 115*F better yet. The cool side for a dragon under a year should be 85*F to 90*F. Night time temperatures can be allowed to fall into the mid seventies. If the temperatures are good, then it is likely that Peanut is sick, and will need to be seen by a vet in person. I’m also going to give you a first aid measure, but first, do you have a reptile vet you can see?
Customer
I found one near me I have not taken her to yet but I found it on a list given by another vet. Broward avian and exotic vet
Ok, that sounds good. I would go ahead and make an appointment. When you go, try to take a,one a fresh stool sample for the vet to examine for parasites. If she poops the night before, it’s ok to keep it in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator - it will still be fresh. Parasites are a common cause of appetite loss. 

Until you can see the vet, you can give her a special each day. You’ll need some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half lukewarm water. Reptiles can absorb some nutrients and fluids through their skin and vents- where droppings pass out. Soak Peanut for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. When a dragon isn’t eating well, they are likely to be at least a little dehydrated. These baths will help with that.

I hope you’ll be able to quickly get an appointment and Peanut will soon be thriving again.

Customer
I have electrolyte soak for bearded dragons is that ok too? And I have been giving her reptiboost mixture in water through a syringe she doesn’t fight me much with it and swallows all of it without a problem so I got her some nutrients that way
the electrolyte soak will be fine - it’s the same thing as Pedialyte. Even when they are eating from a syringe, it usually isn’t as much as when they have a normal appetite, so a bit if dehydration is still a risk.
Customer
Ok great. Thank you so much I have an appointment for Wednesday for her!
You’re welcome. I’m glad you were able to get in so soon.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.