If my bearded dragon is a sleep a his cave and I turn on his light and heat lamp and he stay there is he in bermation

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: If my bearded dragon is a sleep a his cave and I turn on his light and heat lamp and he stay there is he in bermation I’m not a very good speller
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Bearded Dragon's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: since yesterday
JA: What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: bugs and greens
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Doc and about 10 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: well before that he hasn’t eat in about 4 or 5 days
Answered by Anna in 6 mins 6 months ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. Don’t worry about your spelling - I can understand what you’re saying. I’m sorry to hear that Doc is not doing well. He is too young to brumate, and it is the wrong time of year for that anyway. Something is wrong. What temperatures do you have under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?
Customer
About 84 on the hot side and 78 on the cool side
Customer
No
Customer
Are you there?
We have to work with more than one customer at a time, so there can be delays of a few minutes.

The biggest problem is that Doc is freezing cold. A beardie who is cold will be lethargic, not want to eat a lot, and may even try to hide. The very coldest part of his cage should be 85*F to 90*F. For a youngster his age, the basking spot should be at least 105*F, with 110*F to 115*F better yet. The latest research on bearded dragons has shown that they can't even begin to digest their food properly until their internal body temperature reaches 98*F. Being cold-blooded, the only way for that to happen is for them to lie in a very hot basking area.You can increase the temperature by using a higher wattage bulb in the basking light fixture, lowering t he fixture itself (but not so low that he can be burned on it), or by adding a second fixture. If you need a second fixture, you don't have to buy something expensive from a pet store.If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a clip-on metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware and home improvement stores sell similar light fixtures as work lights.

I will also give you a first aid measure to try. You’ll need some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half lukewarm water. Soak Doc for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely.

If the warmth and a bath don’t help, he is probably sick. Cool temperatures can lead to respiratory infections. In that case, he will need to see a reptile vet in person. This site has a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I hope Doc will soon be fine.

Customer
Ok I think that’s the problem because when I do let him out he runs and walks thank you very much and for your time.
You’re very welcome. I hope this solves the problem.
Customer
Thank you!
I’m glad to help.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.