My leopard geckos eye is swollen. What can I do to help him and reduce the swelling? I noticed it yesterday evening, he

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My leopard geckos eye is swollen. What can I do to help him and reduce the swelling?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the leopard gecko lick the skin as well?
Customer: I noticed it yesterday evening, he licks his skin as well as bites at his tail if that helps
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Demo, he’s around 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: His eye is extremely swollen and red, I think maybe some of his shed got stuck on the eye and then got infected
Answered by Dr. Adamson in 6 mins 9 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Adamson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi there, my name is***** understand your leopard gecko Demo has a swollen eye. Can you send me a picture?

When is the last time Demo shed?

Customer
Customer attachment 2/25/2022 12:24:01 AM
Customer
He shed about 5 days ago
Customer
I've tried to get all the stuck shed off of him by soaking him and using a q-tip to try and gently peel it off but it's not working

Reptiles are ectothermic and they rely on the environment to thrive. Most health problems may be due to husbandry but not always. Because Demo didn't shed well, he more than likely doesn't have the right humidity.

Customer
I've changed his cage around since this last shed to provide more humidity to him

Humidity is very important and you can provide an additional humidity box. This humidity would be very helpful for proper shedding. This box could be a small box with a small opening for Demo to climb inside. The interior should be moistened peat moss, vermiculite, or paper towels inside it, and it should be mist daily. Heating one end of the cage allows for a temperature variation that he needs. Provide a temperature gradient of 85-90°F (29.4-32.2ºC) on the warm side and 78-80°F (25.6-26.7ºC) on the cool side. Cage temperature can drop into the 70’s at night. The best heat source is either a heat lamp or ceramic heat emitter placed above the enclosure. Under-tank heaters and hot rocks are not as safe or effective. UVB lighting is recommended – 5.0% UVB or greater for 12 hours a day. The cage should be dark at night. Although leopard geckos are nocturnal, direct and indirect exposure to UVB radiation will benefit overall health.

Unfortunately, his eye looks like he may have an infection, inflammation, or both. He could also have an abrasion due to the irritation.

Customer
Okay thank you, I'll make sure I fix his cage around to make it better fit him. What can I do for the eye?
Customer
Is there something like an antibiotic or eye drops I can get for him?

He really needs to be seen by a veterinarian in order to try to salvage that eye

Over the counter eye drops probably won't be enough for that

Customer
Okay so there's nothing that I can do right now for him? I don't know what vet I can take him too
Customer
I will call around to the pet hospitals near me, the closest one said the exotic pet doctor won't be in until March 8th and I think that's too long of a wait

You can gently mist him so he can finish shedding. Definitely call around and see who is available to see him/sees exotics.

Customer
Okay thank you

You're welcome. I hope you're able to find someone to see him and he feels better soon

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Adamson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Adamson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.