I have a leopard gecko and she’s very uninterested in food in the last week or 2 and her tail has shrunk a huge amount.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi pearl! I have a leopard gecko and she’s very uninterested in food in the last week or 2 and her tail has shrunk a huge amount. She also is appearing to have some swelling and leakage near her booty hole
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the leopard gecko also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: yes a bit. Her cage was a bit cold but it’s been back at regular temp for a few days and she just shed she ate three worms two days ago and three more today
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: The gecko is called nosing and she’s about 4-5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so I think that’s it! She does have bubbles under her armpits sometimes but I wasn’t worried be she the rest of her semes seems fine
Answered by Dr. Adamson in 38 mins 9 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Adamson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi there, my name is***** understand your leopard gecko Nosing has been inappetent for the past 1-2 weeks and her tail has shrunk. She is also has some swelling and leakage. How long was her cage cold?

Reptiles are ectothermic, they rely on the environment to thrive. Most health problems may be due to husbandry, but not always. 

Their diet should be mostly insectivorous – you want to feed a variety of prey items such as crickets, mealworms, superworms, phoenix worms, flies, roaches, etc. Insects should be “gut loaded” with a nutritious diet for at least 12 hours prior to feeding to your gecko. A powdered gut loading diet for feeder insects is available at most pet stores. Dust feeder insects with a calcium supplement 3-4 times per week or daily if there is not a “gut-loading” supplement. A calcium + vitamin D3 supplement can be used 2 times a week and a multivitamin supplement should be used weekly. You may also provide the calcium and multivitamin powder in a shallow dish. Preferably feed smaller more frequent meals (3-4 insects per day) rather than larger meals less often. Provide a shallow water dish for drinking and soaking.

The environment should be a 10-20 gallon aquarium or similar cage, which is usually sufficient for 1-2 individuals. A hide box or shelter should be provided.

Humidity is very important. You can provide an additional humidity box, which would be very helpful for proper shedding. This box could be a small box with a small opening for your leopard gecko to climb inside. The interior should be moistened peat moss, vermiculite, or paper towels inside it, and it should be mist daily.

Heating one end of the cage allows for a temperature variation that your lizard needs. Provide a temperature gradient of 85-90°F (29.4-32.2ºC) on the warm side and 78-80°F (25.6-26.7ºC) on the cool side. Cage temperature can drop into the 70’s at night. The best heat source is either a heat lamp or ceramic heat emitter placed above the enclosure. Under-tank heaters and hot rocks are not as safe or effective.

UVB lighting is recommended – 5.0% UVB or greater for 12 hours a day. The cage should be dark at night. Although leopard geckos are nocturnal, direct and indirect exposure to UVB radiation will benefit overall health.

We recommend a non-particulate substrate such as newspaper, paper towels, or reptile carpet; sand, walnut shell, etc. can cause impactions if ingested and irritation of the eyes.

You can also schedule an appointment with Nosing's regular veterinarian for an exam. They will be able to determine what might be causing her symptoms and formulate a treatment plan if necessary.

Send me an update and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Adamson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Adamson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.