She is kinda of dark and not active and is always sleeping and small. Bearded dragon. She was in a bad environment and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is kinda of dark and not active and is always sleeping and small
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of reptile are we talking about?
Customer: bearded dragon
JA: How long has the Bearded Dragon been lethargic? Any changes in her appetite?
Customer: She was in a bad environment and she was not being fed
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no her tail is also turning orange
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: shes about a year and her name is beanz
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 18 hours 12 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry you have not received an answer to your question and would like to help.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-It appears you are offline. I am sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Beanz's symptoms.

-Based on the information you provided, I can offer some general advice.

-Once you are online again, please feel free to reach out with any questions.

-Dark coloration of the skin can indicate stress or illness in bearded dragons.

-At this time of year, she may be brumating. If she is able to be roused and is not losing weight, this may not be a concern.

-Most problems with reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of their unique requirements.

-Optimizing care may help your dragon eat better.

-The care of bearded dragons should include:

-Bearded dragons are omnivores. Juveniles must eat mainly live prey.

-For adults, about 25% of the diet should be gut-loaded insects such as crickets, superworms, and waxworms as well as grasshoppers, locusts, and the occasional pinky mouse.

-Dark, leafy greens such as should make up 50-55% of the adult dragon diet. Greens include collard greens, kale, romaine, dandelion, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens, bok choy, Swiss chard, spinach, chicory, and escarole. Other vegetables should make up the remaining 20% of the diet (squash, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, peas, carrot, beans, okra, bean sprouts, tofu).

-Fruit should be an occasional treat.

-Dust the non-breeding adult’s diet with calcium supplement just prior to feeding once or twice weekly, or more often if they are breeding. Dust every meal for hatchlings. This supplement should contain vitamin D.

-Ultraviolet light should be provided with a special UVB bulb. It should be on for 12 hrs daily. Change the bulb every 6 months.

-Feed adults every one to two days. Hatchlings should be fed twice daily

-The temperature should be 80-88°F (27-31°C). The basking spot should be 92-100°F (33-38°C). Bearded dragons are prone to heatstroke. Never place a bearded dragon in a glass enclosure in direct sunlight.

-Drinking water should always be provided bowl. The bowl should be cleaned daily since dragons will soak in the water and eliminate in it.

-Bearded dragons require bright light for adequate food intake and normal behaviors. Sunlight or a fluorescent full-spectrum light source can be appropriate.

-A 75-gallon (283-L) aquarium is required for a single adult.

-Bearded dragons require hiding areas, branches, hammocks and rocks should be provided for climbing.

-Bearded dragons can develop a variety of medical conditions that make them less interested in food. This may include respiratory infections, parasites, intestinal obstruction, vitamin imbalances, skin problems, etc.

-Since she is darker in color, sleeping more and not eating well, she should be evaluated by a veterinarian to determine if there is a medical problem that needs to be treated.

-In my experience, reptiles tend to hide illness until it is advanced, so they are typically very ill by the time they stop eating.

-In the meantime, you can correct any care issues.

-You can also soak her in a shallow dish of lukewarm water every day for 5-10 minutes to be sure she is hydrated. Make sure to stay with her the whole time because drowning can happen if they are too weak.

-You can also try syringe feeding some vegetable and meat baby food mixed 1:1. Make sure there is no garlic in the food. Give small amounts and make sure she swallows before you give more.

-Oxbow Omnivore Critical Care diet can also be used to syringe feed.

I hope the information was helpful as well and Beanz feels better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Beanz is feeling better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.