We have a juvenile breaded dragon that is not acting right. It’s not eating, opening it’s eyes and not moving much.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a juvenile breaded dragon that is not acting right. It’s not eating, opening it’s eyes and not moving much.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of reptile are we talking about?
Customer: Bearded dragon
JA: When did you first notice this decrease in the Bearded Dragon's appetite?
Customer: yesterday
JA: Does the Bearded Dragon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Does not seem to be. He use to lay on his rock under the light, now he is inside the cave of rock.
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Blu, don’t really know it’s age. My daughter bought it on the 27th of December.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: don’t think so
Answered by Dr. Ellen D. in 16 hours 10 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Ellen D.
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi there! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** and I am here to help! Do you mind if I ask you some additional question's about Blu? Can you describe the type of enclosure he is in? What is the ambient temperature inside his enclosure?

Without some additional information it is difficult to say exactly what is going on but I still want to provide some information that may be helpful to you. Often times, many of the diseases and illnesses in Bearded Dragons are a result of the environment that they are in and husbandry related issues (like temperature, humidity, diet). Here are some points to consider:

As a rule, I generally tell Bearded Dragon owners to have a 75 gallon tank (or larger for them). Temperature is also very, very important. The ideal temperature should be between 80-88F, but there should also be a 'basking spot' in her enclosure that has a heat lamp over top of it providing heat at about 92-100F.

The tank should have a lid that provides appropriate airflow. A screened/mesh lid is usually appropriate.

Bearded Dragons actually require their environment to be quite dry (almost desert-like) and a high humidity can cause a number of different problems. I usually recommend humidity stay between 40-50% for Bearded Dragons. Sometimes this can be difficult to achieve, especially depending on where you are located. To try and get the humidity down to a comfortable level, I recommend good airflow in the enclosure by having a 'screened' lid on the top. Also, purchasing a dehumidifier and placing it in the room with the door to the room closed can also help pull moisture out of the air to try and get it nice and dry.

Customer
Thanks, ***** ***** bearded dragon died this morning.

Oh my goodness I am so so sorry. Unfortunately sometimes it can take a while to hear a response from one of us due to the different time zones. I am so sorry I wasn't able to catch you sooner.

I am so sorry to hear about Blu :(

Thank you for at least trying. Bearded dragons can be very challenging to care for and when they start to show signs of illness, it is not uncommon that it is often too late to turn them around. I hope you and your family are doing okay.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Ellen D.
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Ellen D.
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.