I have a bearded dragon that is 17 months old, im pretty sure she has tail rot. Is the best treatment Betadine soaks

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i have a bearded dragon that is 17 months old, im pretty sure she has tail rot. Is the best treatment Betadine soaks followed by non pain neosporin?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the Bearded Dragon's tail start hurting?
Customer: I noticed it a month ago, I thought she was brumating and ready to shed again, however she has not shed in 4 months
JA: What type of food does she normally eat?
Customer: super worms, apples, kale, bok choy, collard greens she's very picky sometimes blueberries
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Khaleesie 17 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm just very concerned and its not the whole tail about 2 inches of it is darkening
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 3 hours 11 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Khaleesie has an issue with her tail.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-Are you able to send a picture?

-It appears you are offline. I am sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Khaleesie's tail.

-Based on the information you provided, I can offer some general advice.

-Most health problems in reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of the unique requirements of the species.

-The care of bearded dragons should include:

-Bearded dragons are omnivores. Juveniles must eat mainly live prey.

-For adults, about 25% of the diet should be gut-loaded insects such as crickets, superworms, and waxworms as well as grasshoppers, locusts, and the occasional pinky mouse.

-Dark, leafy greens such as should make up 50-55% of the adult dragon diet. Greens include collard greens, kale, romaine, dandelion, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens, bok choy, Swiss chard, spinach, chicory, and escarole. Other vegetables should make up the remaining 20% of the diet (squash, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, peas, carrot, beans, okra, bean sprouts, tofu).

-Fruit should be an occasional treat.

-Dust the non-breeding adult’s diet with calcium supplement just prior to feeding once or twice weekly, or more often if they are breeding. Dust every meal for hatchlings. This supplement should contain vitamin D.

-Ultraviolet light should be provided with a special UVB bulb. It should be on for 12 hrs daily. Change the bulb every 6 months.

-Feed adults every one to two days. Hatchlings should be fed twice daily

-The temperature should be 80-88°F (27-31°C). The basking spot should be 92-100°F (33-38°C). Bearded dragons are prone to heatstroke. Never place a bearded dragon in a glass enclosure in direct sunlight.

-Drinking water should always be provided bowl. The bowl should be cleaned daily since dragons will soak in the water and eliminate in it.

-Bearded dragons require bright light for adequate food intake and normal behaviors. Sunlight or a fluorescent full-spectrum light source can be appropriate.

-A 75-gallon (283-L) aquarium is required for a single adult.

-Bearded dragons require hiding areas, branches, hammocks and rocks should be provided for climbing.

-Discoloration of the tail can be due to decreased blood supply from stuck shedding, infections, gout and metabolic bone disease.

-It would be best to have her evaluated by a veterinarian to determine if antibiotics are needed.

-In the meantime, you may want to try soaking her in a shallow dish of lukewarm water twice daily for 5-10 minutes. Be sure to stay with her at all times, since drowning can occur if she is weak.

-You can put triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, on the area twice daily. Make sure it does not have any pain reliever as these can be toxic to reptiles.

-You should make sure to keep her temperature at the upper end of the recommended range.

I hope the information was helpful and Khaleesi will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Khaleesi is doing better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.