I left my crested gecko in a care of someone when I went on vacation for two weeks. I just came home tonight to find him

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I left my crested gecko in a care of someone when I went on vacation for two weeks. I just came home tonight to find him completely I emaciated! His eyes are all sunken in and he’s lost all his weight! He’s still moving but very little we have him in a little plastic tub and some warm water on a paper towel now
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the gecko have any allergies?
Customer: None that I am aware of.
JA: And what's the gecko's name and age?
Customer: Champa, about 5y
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: his eyes are sunken in and since we’ve had him in the soak, he pooped. Still moving very little.
Answered by Dr. Caryn – Vet in 10 hours 12 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Hello, anyone there?!

Hello and thanks for posting your question on JustAnswer.com. My name is***** and I have been a veterinarian for over 21 years, specializing in aquatics, reptiles, amphibians, avian and other exotic species. You may already be aware, but on this platform veterinarians can provide insight and advice, but as this is not considered a legal client-patient relationship, we are unable to prescribe medications, provide medical records or sign documents for your specific pet. For that you would need to make an in person visit with a local veterinarian. I am happy to chat with you via text but if you are interested in a phone call instead that is an option you can choose for an additional charge. In the meantime, I am putting together some questions and/or suggestions to help with your pet’s concern.

I am very sorry to hear that your leopard gecko is under the weather. Sounds like he is malnourished and may be dehydrated as well. Doing a warm water soak as you are doing is a very good idea but as these lizards don't do well at warm temps try to target around 75F for the bath.

If he is strong enough to eat, you can offer him food. If he's not able or willing to take any you can make a slurry out of the commercial crested diet (e.g. Repashy Superfoods Crested Gecko diet replacement powder or ZooMed Crested Gecko premium blended gecko formula) and water and syringe feed it to him. If you've never done any syringe feeding, go slowly and be gentle.

If you’ve never done this before there are some good online videos that you can watch first such as this one by exotic pet veterinarian Dr. Laurie Hess:

https://youtu.be/38BbTokTwjI

If he's not moving much on his own, place them in an area of the tank that is around 75F, but not on top of a hot rock or under the hottest basking area as they can overheat or get burned.

And if he doesn't respond or perk up to soaks and syringe feeding, then certainly consider taking him to a local reptile veterinarian for hands on care.

To find a local veterinarian with reptile experience, here is a useful website you can use to search for a local reptile veterinarian:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/

(please note this site may not work on older browsers like Safari)

These veterinarians are active members of the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians, which means they have interest and experience in treating reptile patients.

I should be notified if/when you respond with additional information so we can connect about your crested gecko Champa but, in the meantime, I hope this information is helpful and I wish you both the best. Thanks again for posting your question to JustAnswer.com. Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer
Champa passed last night.

Oh no, I am so very sorry. You have my most sincere condolences on your loss. Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer
Thank you.

You are most welcome. Again, my sincerest condolences.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.