We just got a bearded dragon amd have only had Him for about three days. He is sleeping constantly and barely moves and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We just got a bearded dragon amd have only had Him for about three days. He is sleeping constantly and barely moves and we’re not sure if he’s brumating Or if he is sick or dehydrated or what’s going on with him. He did jump off of my sons shoulder and landed on the floor on his tummy but he seemed OK after that and then the next day he just sleeps
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the Bearded Dragon's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: The first day he ate 15 to 20 crickets and anyesterday he only ate about 5 to 6 and kept falling asleep in between. He pooped a little bit when we gave him a bath and that was all
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Munchee 9-11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 1 hour 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Munchee is not feeling well.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

-It appears you are offline. I am sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Munchee's being so lethargic.

-Based on the information or provided, I can offer some general advice.

-Most health problems with reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of the unique care requirements of the species. Since you just got him, it is hard to say how he was cared for in the past.

-The care of bearded dragons should include:

-Bearded dragons are omnivores, however, juveniles require a diet of almost 100% live, appropriately sized prey.

-Animal protein should make up at least 25% (by volume) of the adult dragon diet. Offer appropriately sized, gut-loaded insects such as crickets, superworms, and waxworms as well as grasshoppers, locusts, and the occasional pinky mouse. A good reference for feeding insects can be found at https://lafeber.com/vet/feeding-insect-eating-reptiles/

-Dark, leafy greens such as should make up 50-55% of the adult dragon diet. Offer a variety of greens including collard greens, kale, romaine, dandelion, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens, bok choy, Swiss chard, spinach, chicory, and escarole. Other chopped or grated vegetables may comprise up to 20% of the diet (squash, zucchini, sweet potato, broccoli, peas, carrot, beans, okra, bean sprouts, tofu).

-Fruit should make up no more than 5% of the diet and should include nutrient-dense items such as papaya, melon, and banana. Occasional treats may consist of non-toxic flower blossoms such as hibiscus.

-Dust the non-breeding adult’s diet with calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate supplement just prior to feeding once or twice weekly, more often if actively breeding. Dust every meal for hatchlings. Calcium supplements should be devoid or low in phosphorus with a minimum Ca:P ratio of 2:1. A general vitamin/mineral supplement may be offered once weekly. This supplement should contain vitamin D, and bearded dragons should have exposure to ultraviolet light (specifically UVB rays via specialized bulbs or direct sunlight).

-Feed adults every one to two days. Hatchlings should be fed twice daily

-The bearded dragon has a preferred optimal temperature zone of 80-88°F (27-31°C). The basking spot should reach 92-100°F (33-38°C). Bearded dragons heat up quickly but cool down very slowly, putting them at risk for heatstroke. Never place a bearded dragon in direct sunlight when housed in a glass tank.

-Drinking water should always be provided in a shallow bowl or saucer.  Dragons will often soak in their water bowl and may defecate in their water.  Drinking and soaking bowls should be cleaned at least daily.

-Bearded dragons require bright light for adequate food intake and normal behaviors. Ceramic heaters, red bulbs, and low-wattage bulbs are inadequate. Provide daily sunlight directly or a fluorescent full-spectrum light source. If a fluorescent full-spectrum bulb is used, also provide a bright spotlight at one end of the habitat. UV light bulbs should be replaced at least every 6 months to assure appropriate UV output.

-Bearded dragons require housing at least three times as long as their snout-tail length. A single adult requires a 75-gallon (283-L) aquarium although larger enclosures are recommended.

-Bearded dragons require hiding areas (rock cave, plant pot, cardboard box, etc.) as well as thick branches upon which to climb and bask. Branches must be sturdy enough to support heavy-bodied adults. Provide a full-spectrum light source for normal absorption of dietary calcium.

-Bearded dragons can develop a variety of health issues viral infections, parasites, dehydration, and metabolic bone disease. Metabolic bone disease is softening of the bones due to a lack of calcium in the diet.

-They can also have difficulty shedding if humidity is not appropriate.

-Respiratory infections are common in reptiles.

-Intestinal parasites are common in newly obtained reptiles.

-I would recommend that Munchess be evaluated by a veterinarian since most reptiles do not show signs of illness until they are quite sick.

-In the meantime, make sure you correct any issues with his care. You can also place him in a shallow bowl of lukewarm water for 5-10 minutes twice daily. Please be sure he is monitored the whole time in the water. Bearded dragons are not good at swimming and drowning can occur if they are not monitored.

-You can try mixing some meat baby food with vegetable baby food and feeding him by dropper until you are able to get him examined.

I hope the information was helpful and Munchee will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Munchee is feeling better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.