My 8 yr old red slider turtle fell from a distance of 3 feet to cement floor. He landed face first/ left eye is bulging

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 8 yr old red slider turtle fell from a distance of 3 feet to cement floor. He landed face first/ left eye is bulging and neck turned to left - some bleeding at first but cant find the source of blood. Do I take him to vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the turtle bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: He fell from about 3 feet, head first to cement floor. Left eye is swollen. there was blood but I did not find wound. He is able to fully move his neck at full extension. Do I need to take him to vet?
JA: And what's the turtle's name and age?
Customer: Raphael, 8 yr old red slider - about 10 inch long and 6 inch mide
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I guess that is all - i was worried about eye
Answered by Dr. Caryn – Vet in 26 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and thanks for posting your question on JustAnswer.com. My name is***** and I have been a veterinarian for over 21 years, specializing in aquatics, reptiles, amphibians, avian and other exotic species. You may already be aware, but on this platform, veterinarians can provide insight and advice, but as this is not considered a legal client-patient relationship, we are unable to prescribe medications, provide medical records or sign documents for your specific pet. For that you would need to make an in person visit with a local veterinarian. I am happy to chat with you via text but if you are interested in a phone call instead that is an option you can choose for an additional charge. In the meantime, I am putting together some questions and/or suggestions to help with what’s going on with your pet.

So sorry to hear that your red-eared sliced turtle Raphael was injured in a fall. If you want to upload a photo so I can see how his eye looks, please use the paperclip icon below the text box.

The eye may be swollen either from swelling or bleeding in or behind the eye. Take a good look at the eye and make sure there are not cuts or abrasions on the cornea. You can also gently rinse the eye with saline eye wash (not medicated drops) if you feel there may be any grit or dirt in the eye or under the lids. Good options include Fluker’s Repta Rinse Reptile Eye Wash or the human equivalent Bausch and Lomb Advanced Eye Relief. These are saline solutions plus some antiseptics (boric acid and/or benzalkonium chloride) and lubricants. Flush the eye copiously but gently

Customer
I can't with this computer! I don't know how

Ok, you can also use the JustAnswer app on your phone and also use the paperclip icon to attach a photo from your phone.

If the eye gets markedly swollen, then veterinary care may be needed to help prevent secondary damage or loss of vision.

You can look at his eyes, ears, nares (nose openings) and mouth to see if there is any obvious blood.

If he is able to move his head and neck normally, then it is unlikely he has fractured anything. But just keep an eye out for any unusual angles or reluctance to extend or retract his head.

Customer
thank you - I saw him moving his head and neck to full extension-

A couple of other things to consider:

-Exercise restriction. If they have an injury, you do not want them to further injure themselves, so make sure he has a gentle ramp that he can use to get out of the water to his basking spot. And if you have any stacked rocks, limit the height so he doesn't risk hurting himself. You can always put them back but he does need a warm, dry area to bask.

-Limit handling. If they have an injury, limit handling and limit time out of her enclosure to avoid further injury. If you must lift or remove them from their tank, go slowly and support their weight from underneath with your palm. Be gentle if you have to handle the head or neck (though try to avoid handling them if you can).

If the eye continues to swell, or is extremely large, or appears to be popping out of the socket or the cornea (the normally clear front tissue of the eye) becomes cloudy, then he does need veterinary attention.

If you figure out a way to share an image of the eye, I should be alerted by JustAnswer and I will look and respond as soon as I am able.

Customer
I guess I will have to wait till I can connect to web with my own computer - this one came over on the Mayflower! Thank you

You're turtle might not want eat for a day or so, but if that persists, it might be due to discomfort. The vet can prescribe pain meds that are turtle safe.

Also a good idea to do a general once over today and again tomorrow to make sure there are no signs of any additional injuries, cracked shell, broken nails, limb issues, etc.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. My best to you and Raphael. Sincerely, ***** *****

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Caryn – Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.