My red ear slider stoppef esting any suggestions. 1 month. Pelltts. Het name is cacilia she is 10

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My red ear slider stoppef esting any suggestions
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Red-eared slider's red ear? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 1 month
JA: What type of food does the Red-eared slider normally eat?
Customer: Pelltts crill
JA: And what's the Red-eared slider's name and age?
Customer: Het name is ***** ***** is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Cacilia is not eating.

My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible.

Does she still seem active and alert?

Is she still passing stools/urine (urates)?

It appears you are offline. I'm sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Cacilia's appetite.

Based on the information you provided, I can offer some general advice.

Many of the health problems with reptiles are due to an incomplete understanding of the unique needs of the species.

Red-eared sliders are omnivores. Juveniles require a higher proportion of animal protein, while adults consume more plant matter. Generally, young healthy sliders or sick hospitalized sliders do best when fed commercial pelleted foods and then offered snacks for variety. For long-term care of healthy adults, feed more plant material to control calorie intake:

-Dark, leafy greens such as collard, mustard, and dandelion greens make up the bulk (40%-60%) of the adult diet. Mix greens with coarsely chopped vegetables such as carrots, squash, green beans, and broccoli.

-Offer a commercial turtle diet, such as sticks, pellets, or trout chow as 25%-50% of the diet.

-Animal protein sources may include live feeder fish, earthworms, cooked chicken, or earthworms purchased from a reputable supplier.

-Fruit, such as apple, cantaloupe, melon, and berries, can be offered as an occasional treat.

-Feed adults once every 2-3 days; juveniles require daily feeding. Feed sliders in the water.

Food should be dusted with a calcium supplement twice weekly and a multivitamin once a week.

Aquatic turtles are messy eaters and foods can interfere with the filters needed to keep turtle tanks clean. Pet sliders may be fed in a separate tank in which water can be discarded after each meal.

Maintain water temperature between 75-80°F (24-27°C), with the help of a submersible aquarium heater. The basking area should reach between 84-94°F (29-34°C).

Sliders should be housed in a large aquarium. A single adult will need a 50-gallon aquarium minimum.

These freshwater turtles require both a large pool of water as well as an area of dry land for basking. Because sliders are agile climbers, be sure to include a screen top to prevent escape.

As a general rule of thumb, provide hatchlings with 3-6 in (7.5-15 cm) of tap water. Large juveniles and adults need between 10-30 inches (20-60 cm) of water. The body of water needs to be at least 4-5 times the turtle’s carapace length and the water’s depth should be at least 1.5-2 times shell length.

Provide a dry haul-out area at one end of the enclosure using hardwood, pieces of cork, or a smooth, flat rock resting on submerged bricks or cinder block. Rough rocks can scratch the turtle’s shells creating a risk of infection. Create enough of an incline so the turtle can climb out easily, and position an overhead light over one corner of the haul-out area to provide the basking spot.

Aquatic turtles are messy eaters and they often defecate in their water so it is important to maintain water quality. Perform frequent 50%-100% water changes or use a high-quality filter and feed the turtle in a separate habitat. Dechlorinated water is recommended.

Provide a full-spectrum light for optimal absorption of dietary calcium.

Make sure you are optimizing her care and following all the recommendations. If she does not start eating here in a few days, she should be evaluated by a veterinarian.

I hope this information was helpful and the Cacilia will be feeling better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.