How big of an aquarium should a leopard gheko have? adult. And what can they eat? And how many hiding places do they

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: how big of an aquarium should a leopard gheko have? adult. And what can they eat? And how many hiding places do they need?
Answered by Sarah in 18 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Sarah
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, I am Dr. Sarah, I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly. I have over 15 years of experience in small animal medicine.

Legally, we cannot make a diagnosis or prescribe medications without an exam, but I can make my best recommendations based on the information you are able to provide.

The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. I have no control over these offers. Just ignore the offer or decline and we can continue by chat.

An adult leapord gecko should have at minimum a 20 gallon LONG aquarium. Adding inches to the length rather than the height makes it easier to keep the heat gradient that they need (hot vs cool side)

As to what they eat, they eat mostly worms and crickets. However, they do require caclium and phosphorus supplementation with their meals. This can be accomplished by dusting their food with calcium/phosphorus powder or by feeding their crickets/worms (gut loading) calcium rich food right before feeding them to the gecko.

They do need UVB lighting to help with VItamin D which helps the calcium in their diet absorb. This is essential.

As for their hides, since they do like to hide it is ideal to have 3 hides: 1 on the hot side, 1 on the cool side, and 1 humid hide to help with any sheddding issues. You can put some sphagnum moss in the humid hide and keep it moist (not wet). The gecko will go in there when it is time to shed to help with complete shedding.

Geckos can require intensive care and specific heat/light/diet requirements. The following link contains the majority of the information to setup a gecko habitat and it is vet approved.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gecko-care-sheets/55211-100-leopard-gecko-care-sheet-geckos-unlimited.html

Dr. Sarah, DVM

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Sarah
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Sarah
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.