He has cloudy eyes. Leopard gecko. A couple weeks ago, and I’m not sure. Gemini and 14. His tail mass has gone down

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He has cloudy eyes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Leopard gecko
JA: When did you notice the leopard gecko had this cloudy eye? Does he have any allergies?
Customer: A couple weeks ago, and I’m not sure
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Gemini and 14
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: His tail mass has gone down drastically
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 5 days 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I am sorry Gemini's eyes look strange.

My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question. Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are not able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible.

Has he been eating?

Does he have any discharge from the eyes?

Customer
Not a lot and not necessarily discharge but it is a cloudy film layer that can come off

Has he recently shed?

Customer
Hi

Is there any shed still sticking on his tail or toes?

Are you still there?

Customer
his toes but the humidity is good but he has always had issues with his toes

There are several different causes for cloudy eyes:

Retained skin from shedding can become stuck to the eye. Never attempt to pull the stuck skin from the eyes as you can severely damage the surface of the eye. You can try placing Gemini in a shallow container of luke warm water This will help rehydrate him and help with the stuck shed on other areas of his body. It is important that he is monitored at all times in the water bath since he is not able to swim. Drowning may occur without close observation.

Another option to help with stuck shed is to place Gemini in a plastic container lined with very moist paper towels. Poke air holes in the lid and cover the container. Place the container over a bath or hot water or on a heating mat for 15 minutes. Make sure a portion of the container is not on the mat to allow your gecko to cool down if they are too hot. After 20-30 minutes, remove him back to his normal enclosure.

You can repeat the bathing or sauna daily to help loosen the stuck shed.

The best way to prevent inappropriate shedding is to ensure you are providing the appropriate care for his species.

Leopard geckos are originally from the middle east where the climate is warm and dry. Their natural habitat is rocky with clay-gravel solid below a layer of sand. Their husbandry needs should be based on their natural environment.

Leopard geckos are nocturnal or active at dusk and dawn. In the daytime, they hide under rocks or in burrows that have higher humidity than the ambient environment. Their natural diet consists of insects and other invertebrates as well as newborn rodents. They have been known to ingest sand as a source of calcium. They also eat the skin that they shed.

In captivity, leopard geckos can be housed alone, in a group with a single male and several females, or in a group of just females. Males should never be housed together because of aggressive behaviors. One or two leopard geckos should be hosed in a 20-gal aquarium with a secure lid. The lid will serve as a mounting area for lights and also prevent other animals in the house from disturbing the geckos.

A variety of floor covering can be used in the cage. Sand is commonly recommended.  Sand can create a problem because if geckos eat excessive amounts they can develop an impaction. Newspaper, paper towels, pea-gravel, flat stones, or reptile carpet are better options. These are easily cleaned and do not tend to be eaten. Cage furnishings such as rocks, branches, and plants provide behavioral enrichment and basking sites.

Hide boxes are necessary for their health. They will spend the whole day inside these boxes. At least two hide boxes should be provided. One box should contain moist sphagnum moss or moist mulch to increase the humidity. This area of higher humidity helps improve the ability for shedding.

Leopard geckos get most of their vitamin D through their diet. Ultraviolet light is not necessary since they are a nocturnal species. Regular lighting is needed to establish the day-night cycle and provide heat to the enclosure. A 12-hour day/12-hour night cycle is recommended unless they are breeding.

Leopard geckos do not require high temperatures. An appropriate preferred optimal temperature zone is 75°F to 89°F (24°C to 32°C). Nighttime temperatures should be 65°F to 74°F (18°C to 23°C). Heat lights work well for daytime heating while under-the-tank heaters can be used to maintain the temperature at night. Ceramic heat emitters can also be used outside of the cage, in a similar manner to a heat lamp. The emitters do not produce light. Heat rocks can cause serious burn injuries and should never be used in reptile enclosures.

Feces should be spot cleaned daily. The entire enclosure, including the substrate, should be cleaned and disinfected a least once a month.

Leopard geckos generally eat insects. A variety of insects should be offered several times a week. This helps provide essential nutrients and enrich their lives. The insects should be gut-loaded, which means they are fed a vitamin-rich diet prior to being used as a food source. Insects should also be lightly dusted with a calcium/vitamin supplement labeled for Leopard geckos every other feeding. Feeding at dusk or night time best mimics their natural environment. If they are housed on sand, they should be feed in a separate area to prevent excessive sand ingestion. A bowl with an edible calcium supplement can also be offered. Make sure to remove any insects which are not eaten as they can cause trauma to the geckos if left in the enclosure. Fresh water should be available at all times.

There can certainly be other causes of cloudy eyes. If his appetite and eye color is not improving within the next day or so, I recommend you have Gemini evaluated by a veterinarian.

Do you have any other questions or need clarification on the recommendations?

Customer
No, thank you though

You're very welcome. I hope the information was helpful and Gemini will be feeling better very soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Gemini is feeling better this morning and the eyes are starting to shed. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.