I have Southern Alligator Lizard as a pet. My son caught it in my backyard a few months ago. I live in Northern

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have Southern Alligator Lizard as a pet. My son caught it in my backyard a few months ago. I live in Northern California, not far from ocean. Do I need to provide foods to Southern Alligator Lizard? I always have a dish filled with water available for him in a tank, but I have never see the lizard drinking water. I am thinking to remove the water since the lizard has never drink it. Please let me know if you know anything about feeding water to Southern Alligator Lizard.
Answered by Anna in 10 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’ll be glad to help today. In what kind of home do you have the lizard - 10 gallon tank, cage, etc.? Thank you.

Customer
My Southern Alligator Lizard lives in 10 gallon tank.
Customer
I mistyped my question earlier. My question was if I need to provide water to my Southern Alligator Lizard or not. I give him foods regularly such as crickets and grass hoppers.
Customer
I also have water in a dish available for the lizard but I have never seen it drink water. Should I remove the water from the tank?

No, you should leave the water dish there. Lizards that eat insects get a lot of liquid from the bugs’ insides, so they don’t drink a lot. But it is recommended to leave a small water dish available in case they want it.Here is a good site on caring fir alligator lizards:

https://reptilescove.com/care/lizards/southern-alligator

If you have more concerns, just let me know.

Customer
Thank you. I'm reading the website. - very informative.
Customer
Is it essential to expose the southern alligator lizard to the sun a little bit every day? Does it need to bask in the sun?

It needs UVB light. Sunlight provides that, but for most lizard owners, it’s easier to give them a UVB light in their tank. I recommend the Reptisun UVB lights. It’s important to remember that UV, UVA, full spectrum, Sunglo, etc. are not the same thing. It must say UVB.  If you choose to use natural sun, there are some precautions. Sunlight coming through a window provides no UVB because window glass is made to filter it out. Never set a glass tank out in the sun - it will get too hot very quickly. Provide some shade as well as sun. Protect your lizard from predators, such as raccoons, dogs, cats, crows, etc.

Customer
I see. Thank you. My alligator lizard is always hiding. It does not come out from a hiding spot. S/he is curled up and stay in a hiding cave.
Is s/he sick? When I feed it, I remove the hiding cave so that the lizard eats insects. S/he is eating fine, but not active at all. I'm wondering if the lizard is sick?
Customer
File attached (P6G4LQ5)

Alligator lizards that are captured in the wild are usually very afraid of people. They need lots of hiding places in order to feel safe. They are not a pet that becomes friendly and likes to be handled. As long as she is eating well and her home is kept at proper temperatures, she is probably not sick.

Customer
Ok, I see. Thank you.

You’re welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.