I have a bearded dragon, she is I believe 3 months old now and I am not sure why but she has not been eating any greens

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello! I have a bearded dragon, she is I believe 3 months old now and I am not sure why but she has not been eating any greens when offered to her
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the Bearded Dragon's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: Her energy level is perfectly fine, but her appetite I have noticed about a week or two ago. Though she never really had an interest in greens or fruits. Just crickets which she will eat
JA: Does the Bearded Dragon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No she seems completely fine other than not eating greens
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's about 3 months old I believe, based on the online charts
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't believe so
Answered by Sarah in 24 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Sarah
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, I am Dr. Sarah, I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly. I have over 15 years of experience in small animal medicine.

The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline and we can continue by chat.

Please understand that I am unable to diagnose or prescribe medications over this forum.

Is VEga acting and growing normally otherwise?

Is she at a good weight?

Customer
She is 8 inches now and she's 15oz, I weighed her the other day but she doesn't seem to have gained much weight. I have been feeding her crickets and everything which she eats and goes after. But she doesn't always want them. She doesn't seem to be growing that much lately. Otherwise she's acting normal

Ok, great!

Dusting them with Calcium correct?

Give me a minute or two and let me type up a reply and some hints to get her to like her veggies.

Customer
I have been! and okay. I tried some calcium on the veggies, also bee pollen and bought a bearded dragon salad dressing also. she liked the bee pollen but only had a little bit of the veggies

Bearded dragons can be a little like little kids when trying to get them to eat their veggies.

At this point in her life, she still needs all the protein she can get so it is not imperative that she eats her veggies but she will need to learn soon so good for you for trying to get her to eat them. Some beardies never really learn to like veggies a whole lot, and they all have their individual preferences, so keep trying different things with her too, and it may take several tries with any particular food.

Here are a couple of tricks that I have learned with my clients to get them to eat their veggies.

OFfer them every day, at the end of the day if she hasn't eaten them the leftovers can be fed to the insects which will in turn help hydrate her. I would mist her and give her baths 1-2x/week to help with hydration. Usually beardies come to love their baths.

Offer her the veggies in the morning and withhold the insects until the afternoon. Sometimes a little tough love is needed. As long as she is at a healthy weight, you can get a little tougher as she grows. If she is at a year and still not eating them, go every other day between insects and offer the veggies every day.

Canned green beans chopped up are a great intro to veggies. They tend to like them and get used to the color. Smashed bannana smeared over veggies. You can also take bee pollen and run it quickly through the blender with the veggies ... you don't want to mush them up but just enough to blend it/chop it up with the veggies. Softer greens like endive, turnip, mustard greens are also a better intro

Another trick is to drop a couple of crix in the tank....when she grabs those up, then drop in a shredded little leaf of one of these types...turnip, mustard green. When your baby sees the greens " drop" in the tank, she may be attracted to it thinking for a moment that it's a cricket. Then she finds out that she likes the greens. It might take a few tries but alot of them can be tricked into feeding on them.

Handfeeding can also work well if they are used to it.

I think it is great that you are trying to introduce her to veggies, but don't worry too much as alot of beardies don't show interest until they are older (closer to 1 year). Try what I mentioned above and you can also prefeed your insects the veggies so she can get all the benefits when she eats them (hydraton, nutrients, etc) and this will help her and help her avoid impaction.

Dr. Sarah, DVM

DO you have any further questions?

Customer
No, thank you so much!

YOu are welcome .. keep me updated!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Sarah
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Sarah
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.