I have an older Red-eared slider male and a new yellow-belly slider male. The younger is somewhat snippy and a bit

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have an older Red-eared slider male and a new young yellow-belly slider male. The younger is somewhat snippy and a bit aggressive, the RES is very mellow. Can they safely cohabitate?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: The new one only snaps when he is handled. He is obviously unused to it. I just close his mouth with my finger.
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Red Eared Slider with his aggression?
Customer: The red eared slider is super mellow and not aggressive. Though he does enjoy snacking on live goldfish occasionally.
JA: And what's the Red Eared Slider's name and age?
Customer: Galileo and he's perhaps 10 ish.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I suspect having the older, mellow turtle around will help the younger to be less aggressive. I do know they have the same habitat requirements and they have a large 100+, 3 filter tank with a large basking area.
Answered by PitRottMommy in 1 day 1 year ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

I strongly recommend not allowing turtles to cohabitate unless they are actively breeding. Predation is a high risk for turtles that are housed together. Instead, I would keep them in their own habitats without cohabitation.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.