My leopard gecko has some kind of issue in his testes. They’re swollen, with a little bit of a purple hue, and there’s

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My leopard gecko has some kind of issue in his testes. They’re swollen, with a little bit of a purple hue, and there’s something stuck at the very edge. I’ve had one gecko die from this (or something similar) and I really don’t want to lose another
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the leopard gecko lick the skin as well?
Customer: About a week ago, and no. He’s really bad at being a gecko. We have to pretty much manually shed him (we use shed spray and gently peel skin that’s already lifting) and hand feed him. His left eye also has some kind of problem in that it’s always getting infected and closing up, but I don’t think that’s as pressing of an issue. He’s also stopped eating, and we don’t know why
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Bob, he’s ~5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Answered by PitRottMommy in 1 day 1 year ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

Do you have any photos or video to share of what you’re seeing?

Customer
Customer attachment 5/22/2021 3:05:12 AM

There appears to be a little material in the cloaca, which is not uncommon in reptiles. However, the swelling suggests infection may be the cause of the symptoms. Ideally, they need to see a vet for care. You can find a reptile vet by searching http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ and also http://www.arav.org. In the interim, you can clean the area 2x daily with saline, pat dry and then apply regular Neosporin or Polysporin to the area. Rub this in well and towel off any excess. Be sure that your companion is only on a non-particulate substrate so that it does not stick to the wound and cause more issues. I suggest butcher paper, tile or reptile carpet.

I can also help you find a vet (be sure to share your location since I don’t know where you are) and funding, if needed.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.