We have a leopard gecko who is not eating or drinking. He looks very skinny and pale in color. About a week ago, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a leopard gecko who is not eating or drinking. He looks very skinny and pale in color
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the leopard gecko's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: About a week ago, and very little to no energy
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Maybe some pain in his wrist. He's walking funny
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** unsure of his age. Less than a year for sure
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Answered by PitRottMommy in 18 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

I am very sorry to hear that your companion is not feeling well. With the symptoms you’ve listed that you’re observing, we need to be concerned about underlying medical illness being the cause. These symptoms can be caused by many conditions including intestinal parasites, protozoan, bacterial or fungal infection, impaction, constipation, metabolic problems, reproductive problems, etc. For this reason, I would strongly recommend a vet visit. You can find a reptile vet by searching http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ and also http://www.arav.org.

At home, you can try soaking in warm water 2x daily up to the shoulders for 30 minutes. This will encourage a BM and once the bowels are moving this can also strengthen the appetite, too. You can encourage eating by hand feeding and also offering pureed human baby food in flavors like chicken, turkey, etc. A small amount can be placed on the snout to be licked off. Another option is to syringe feed directly into the mouth (go slowly). If they refuse, it's time to see a vet. Your vet is likely to recommend diagnostics to determine why your companion is unwell, which will likely include a fecal analysis and bloodwork. Your vet may also recommend x-rays. Once they have determined the cause of illness, they can render proper treatment to help your companion recover.

Also be sure that you're not keeping them on sand. This often results in impactions in reptiles and can lead to so many medical issues. I suggest butcher paper, paper towels, tile, reptile carpet, etc.

I would be happy to take a look at any photos or video submitted to our chat. I can also help you find a vet and funding, if needed.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.