I think my leopard Gecko has tail rot. I can’t get him to a vet until tomorrow morning. Will he be OK to wait. Crickets.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my leopard Gecko has tail rot. I can’t get him to a vet until tomorrow morning. Will he be OK to wait
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the tail rot. What type of food does he normally eat?
Customer: Crickets. It looks like a cricket might have possibly bit him in the tail.
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** we got him from a friend I believe his around eight years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Critter?
Customer: No
Answered by Rebecca Coles in 13 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
Rebecca Coles
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello there,

Welcome to JustAnswer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your gecko.

When did you notice this problem with your gecko? Is there an injury on the tail? Is it right on the tip of the tail or further down?

Tail rot can be due to several issues. It can sometimes be due to an environment which is too humid. Othertimes it can be related to an injury such as a bite or sometimes by whipping/whacking their tail off something.

Tail rot often requires antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain killers. I would advise cleaning the wound very gently with dilute iodine solution twice daily. You need to be careful with this as leopard geckos can drop their tail when stressed or if it is touched/handled too much.

Otherwise I would ensure that the temperature is OK in your vivarium, check that there is nothing he could have injured himself on. You also need to check the humidity to ensure it is not too high. I would advise avoiding black crickets as they are more likely to bite.

Please do not hesitate to come back to us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Dr Coles

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rebecca Coles
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rebecca Coles
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.