My approximately 8 month old eyelash crested gecko is acting lethargic. I noticed it this morning when I went to mist

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my approximately 8 month old eyelash crested gecko is acting lethargic
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the gecko been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: I noticed it this morning when I went to mist his cage and provide him with fresh water, but I have noticed that he has not been eating well the past few days
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: I don't think he did, I did notice that he still has some skin around one of his eyes and around his tummy, it looks like he is shedding
JA: What's the gecko's name?
Customer: Meep
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Meep?
Customer: If there is anyway I can help him, my 8 year old son is so sad because he is seeing his pet slowly dying
Answered by David in 23 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi there! This is Dr M and I would try to assist you today.
First of all, let me just say that this is not intended to diagnose a medical problem as that would need a physical examination and a diagnostic tests. I am a licensed veterinarian and I would help you determining whether or not your pet needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things at home.

How long have you had Meep?

It looks like he may be having problems with the shed. Shedding should happen all at once with geckos generally eating their skin. This would point to husbandry issues. Husbandry means the way he is cared. Reptiles are ectothermic and they rely on the husbandry to thrive. Shedding problems is mostly related to humidity and temperature.
Can you check his husbandry with me? I would like to know day temperature range and basking temperature and night temperature. I would also like to know light cycle, uv light and humidity.

Customer
I have had him since late November
Customer
of last year
Customer
is there any way I can help him at home, I am currently trying to find a vet that can see him

Yes, the first thing would be to make sure your husbandry is right

- Temperature: Crested geckos like temperatures of 78 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. It can drop to the low 70s at night. The easiest way to provide heat is a low-wattage incandescent bulb or a ceramic heat emitter in a reflector type fixture placed on the screen top over one side of the tank so that the temperature of basking areas (branches) reaches the desired range. You must always keep one side of the tank unheated so that crested geckos can choose a cooler area to regulate their body temperature.

You can also use a subtank reptile heat pad or heat tape under one side of the tank regulated by a thermostat.

- Lighting: I prefer providing UVB light. This is more important if you have live plants in your vivarium. Turn lights off at night.

- Substrate: Crested geckos spend most of their time above ground so a variety of substrates can be used. For simple maintenance purposes, reptile carpet is attractive and easily cleaned. For a more naturalistic look, a peat-moss-based soil mix that doesn’t contain perlite will work well. Coir (coconut fiber pulp now sold in reptile stores as compressed bricks) mixed 50 percent with soil is a good choice for growing live plants.

- Food: the complete powdered diet marketed as Repashy Superfoods “Crested Gecko” Diet is a good diet. Crested geckos thrive when fed this diet exclusively, which has been tested with thousands of geckos for more than 10 years. The diet is mixed with two parts water and offered in shallow dishes three times a week as much as these geckos will eat at a feeding. The diet is allowed to remain 24 to 36 hours before removal.

In addition to fruit, crested geckos can be offered insects like crickets. Insects offered should be of a size where the length of the cricket equals the width of the gecko's head. Crickets should be lightly coated with a vitamin/mineral supplement that contains calcium, vitamin D3 and a complement of other essential vitamins and minerals. They should be offered three times a week as a primary diet or once a week as a treat/supplement to the Crested Gecko Diet.

- Humidity: Water should always be available for crested geckos in a shallow water dish. These geckos also require a relative humidity of at least 50 percent and preferably 70 percent. An inexpensive hygrometers should be use so that you can record humidity.

Please let me know if you have any questions after reviewing this information. It is ok for you to try a conservative approach as long as he does not decline. It would be good to monitor his weight. Weight loss would be an indication that this conservative approach is not working.

If you feel like Meep is not eating, please consider assist feeding. You can use an over the counter product that you can use as directed. https://www.chewy.com/flukers-repta-boost/dp/126176?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Fluker%27s&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YvK5__u7gIVlqCGCh0ifQDOEAQYASABEgL7N_D_BwE

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.