My Red ear sliders Eyes look a little swollen and he/she won’t open them. 2 days ago, doesn’t look like he’s licking the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Red ear sliders Eyes look a little swollen and he/she won’t open them.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the Red-eared slider lick the skin as well?
Customer: 2 days ago, doesn’t look like he’s licking the skin but he’ll occasionally look like he’s scratching at them.
JA: And what's the Red-eared slider's name and age?
Customer: Cam, and not 100% I got it as a Christmas gift, I didn’t purchase him/her I’ve had him/her 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Answered by CaraL226 in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
CaraL226
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi! This is Dr. Lane. Thank you for using Just Answer! I have over 13 years of experience as a veterinarian. I cannot truly diagnose your pet without a physical exam, but I can definitely give you advice on what would be best to do based on the information we discuss.

Red eared sliders can get swollen eyes for a number of reasons, but the most common is a Vitamin A deficiency. Ideally, Cam will need to be seen by an exotics specialist and may need injections of Vitamin A. You also want to make sure that you are keeping Cam's tank clean, at an appropriate temperature and feeding lots of fish, earthworms, and leafy greens.

Customer
Hi Dr lane, thanks for your speedy response. I do keep the tank very clean, I do 20% water changes every week, and I test the water weekly for ammonia ph and that's always perfectly normal. The only issue I can't get Cam to eat anything but worms he refuses to eat anything else. But I appreciate your help and I'll call a vet in the morning to try and get an appointment as soon as possible.

That sounds like a great idea! I'm sure the vet will be able to help get things on track.

Customer
Thanks! Any ideas to entice them to eat other things? Because I think that's the problem he's not getting all the vitamins it needs by only eating worms.

Will he not eat feeder fish? If he won't eat them swimming around, you can chop them up. Blood in the water helps. And multiple types of greens. Just keep offering them and hopefully Cam will start to get interested.

Customer
No I've not tried feeder fish yet, probably will have to chop them up he's still really small. just the pellets and leafy greens.

OK, definitely some small goldfish and you should add a turtle multi vitamin.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CaraL226
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CaraL226
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.