I recently purchased a bearded dragon and upon research I noticed the importance of a uvb light in their home. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I recently purchased a bearded dragon and upon research I noticed the importance of a uvb light in their home. I currently have a red heat night light, a uvb heat light (also emits uva) and also had a basic day lamp that. Can I replace the day lamp with the uvb one? How many watts should I be looking for when purchasing lights. I keep arriving at so ma at so many different answers when researching. I appreciate your time. Thank you.
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: Reginald
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Reginald?
Customer: He is still a baby. I purchased him about a week ago
Answered by PitRottMommy in 1 hour 1 year ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

Thanks so much for your patience in hearing back from us. The most important light you will supply to your companion will include UVB rays production. This can be done with a bulb that is broad spectrum or gives off just UVB light. The day lamp can be replaced with a UVB lamp. Be sure that ALL of your UVB bulbs are replaced at 6 months of age, as they tend to decrease their UVB ray production after this time. I also want to mention that it's important for your companion to have 10-12 hours each night of darkness. Red bulbs can be stressful to dragons, so it's best to use a ceramic heat emitter at night that gives off heat but no light.

The strength/wattage of your bulb will depend on what your hood calls for. The most important thing is that the UVB bulbs be 8-12" from your companion's basking spot, are 6mo of age or less and that the temps are correct in the habitat. My personal favorite UVB bulb is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-PowerSun-Mercury-Vapor/dp/B0002AQDJK

Customer
Thank you for your speedy response!!!!
Just another question
Customer
Doing research I found that the best amount of crickets to feed a baby bearded dragon is between 30-80 a day
What would you recommend?
I'm afraid that the website requires us to stick with one topic per question. I would be happy to address the question re: feeding, but you'll need to start a new question so that we may discuss this.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.