It looks like his intestines or something is sticking out his butthole. And his tail is half the size it was a couple

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It looks like his intestines or something is sticking out his butthole. And his tail is half the size it was a couple days ago. He is not responding as much as he usually does.
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Special Leopard Gecko
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the leopard gecko's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He was not moving around a lot yesterday. Today I just discovered the protrusion.
JA: How has the leopard gecko's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: Not eating much. He's My Granddaughters and she says that some stools in the tank are lighter and longer.
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: She has not given him anything different.
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: LENNY and his age is either 2 or 3 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about LENNY?
Customer: He has some dried skin around his eyes that's been there for a couple of weeks and he hasn't peeled since.
Answered by thatERvet in 13 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
thatERvet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, my name is*****'d like to try to help Lenny.

Customer
Ok

Is there any way you can show me a picture of the growth protruding from his vent area?

Customer
I will try.

Thanks! Any information you or your granddaughter can provide about Lenny's care is helpful to me. I like to think of reptiles like plants - they need the right soil, moisture, food, sunlight, etc. in order to thrive. So if you can tell me what substrate (bedding) he is on, what the temperatures and humidity in his enclosure are, what types of heat and lamps he has, and what he's eating/what vitamins and supplements he's on, that would be extremely helpful.

Customer
Customer attachment 2/9/2021 8:56:54 PM

Yikes, that is a very thin tail. And his feet look pretty dark, too. The swelling looks primarily right sided. In the short term, I'd recommend soaking him in a shallow dish of warm water for 10 mins or so to gently clean the stuck-on sand from his vent. Then take a new pic and send it to me.

Customer
Bedding is red/black sand. Temperature is at 70 degrees F. Eating freeze dried Crickets with Calcium reptile supplement on it. Also MealWorm Munchies

Does he have an undertank heater or any ceramic overhead heating lamps?

Customer
Luke warm?

The water? Yeah, warm but not hot.

Customer
Two overhead heating lamps

Okay. And does he have a thermometer on each side to measure a cool side vs. a hot side?

Customer
Only has one thermometer on the warmer side. One heat lamp is warmer than the other.

Okay, and the warmer side if the one reading at 70 degrees?

Customer
Hi

Okay, and the warmer side is the one reading at 70 degrees?

Good, so I think we may have identified a source of a problem. It may not be the only thing, but it's an easy fix.

Customer
Hi
Customer
He is still soaking in the warm water - have about 5 minutes left.

The cool side of a leopard gecko's enclosure should be kept around 70-75 degrees, but the warm side should be closer to 90 degrees. If they aren't warm enough they cannot digest their food or metabolize calcium properly, so it can lead to major problems. What is warm enough the summer can quickly become too cold in the winter, especially if the enclosure is close to a window. So sometimes we have to add an undercage heating mat or an additional heating lamp in the winters.

Customer
Here is the after cleaning picture.
Customer
Customer attachment 2/9/2021 9:16:20 PM

It looks as though he may have a prolapsed cloaca. This can be due to straining from sand impaction, constipation, straining from parasites, etc. He really needs to get in to see a vet as this tissue can become necrotic and require surgery. In the meantime, keep the tissue healthy by soaking him daily just like what we described above. Increase the heat on the warm side of his enclosure to 85-90 degrees by purchasing either an additional ceramic or red bulb heat lamp, or an undertank heat mat that sticks underneath the glass of his aquarium. Do *not* purchase in-cage rocks, etc. that heat up - I've seen severe burns from those. I would also recommend using cage carpet rather than sand, as it can cause impaction.

Here is a basic care sheet with guidelines for heat/humidity, etc. husbandry for leopard geckos: http://www.avianandexotic.com/care-sheets/reptiles/leopard-gecko/

Based on what you've described, I suspect that a large part of Lenny's issues are due to some husbandry deficits that require improvement. The vast majority of reptile health problems are husbandry-related. This sheet outlines the basics for making sure that all of Lenny's needs are being met.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
thatERvet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
thatERvet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.