My 1-year-old bearded dragon has been acting unusually recently. Symptoms include weight loss, loss of appetite, glass

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 1-year-old bearded dragon has been acting unusually recently. Symptoms include weight loss, loss of appetite, glass surfing, and head-bobbing (signs of stress that she has never exhibited before). I've been monitoring her but today there was red in her urea so I'm worried that it's a parasite or something worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Bearded Dragon also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No, she's almost hyperactive.
JA: Does the Bearded Dragon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I don't know how I would be able to tell.
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Bobby, approximately one year old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bobby?
Customer: She's recently been moved into a larger vivarium.
Answered by Dr B in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr B
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 29 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Does she have a brumation box?

Customer
No, she's only a year old and i've read that she shouldn't be bruminating this young.

That is true but you cannot stop her.......

She needs to see a vet and also get tested for parasites.....and they need to show you how to force feed her with the proper critical care diet....

Customer
but she hasn't been displaying the typical signs of pre-brumanation. She isn't napping during the day and hyperactive, like she's stressed.

She still needs a box to get in at the cool end of her cage......

That is what they do when they don't have a hide or box to get in.......I know I have one.....

Customer
she has a hide that is cool and dark but she doesn't spend too much time in it during the day.
Customer
I think i misunderstood what you meant by "brumination box." She does have a hide

Try cutting a hole in the end of a shoe box and put shredded paper in it and see if she is interested in going there......

Where do you live?

Customer
I'm worried that she has an impaction or a parasite but I'm not sure
Customer
Pacific northwest

Ok, well in her mind it is winter......she does need to be tested for parasites and also she needs some bloodwork to check her calcium levels.......I have owned a beardie for over two years and have been through all of this already......

Have you ever had her to a vet?

Beardies need to be treated for parasites when they are young.......

Customer
Do I get her tests through a veterinary clinic? This is my first pet so I try to compensate by doing a lot of research. She gets calcium twice a week with her meals.

Yes, you need an exotic vet.......if you let me know where you live near I can assist you with finding one......your pet needs to be seen...these animals can die very easily.....

Customer
Is it possible that this is all related to her changing tanks two weeks ago? All of these issues seem to have started after that.

I am a vet and have raised my beardie but even I went to exotic vet for some parts of her treatment....

Customer
I can easily look up a vet on my own, but thank you.

The head bobbing is not normal.......this is why she needs bloodwork,,,,,

You needs someone that is very well versed with Beardies.....

Customer
Alright, then that just confirms what I already suspected.

Head bobbing can be associated with mineral abnormalities........

and that is......

Customer
That I should take her to the vet....
Customer
I just wanted to make sure before I scheduled an appointment.

Yes you do need to do that. Can I answer any other questions for you? Understood....

Customer
No.

best of luck to you...

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I would appreciate a positive rating as I am not compensated without your rating. You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Remember my advice does not replace the advice of your veterinarian as it does not constitute a valid client patient relationship. Thank you for your business! DRB

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr B
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr B
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.