My 3 ish month old leopard gecko hasn’t eaten for a week and refuses to eat his mealworms, he’s very skinny now and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 3 ish month old leopard gecko hasn’t eaten for a week and refuses to eat his mealworms, he’s very skinny now and there were a few events that happened all at once that might’ve stressed him. But i don’t know what to do. He’s also resisting force feeding and has only pooped twice within the past two weeks. I recently moved him into a bigger tank 15 gal to 20 gal because he was glass surfing the smaller tank and the heat mat was wearing out so the new tank had a bigger heat mat. Which was new for him and as I was setting it up I was holding him before and asking my sister if she could watch him but then my mom approached and scared him and he fell and hit his head on a stool but he acted okay ish afterward but then later that night in his new tank he climbed out and was missing in the morning and was found in my hamper on the cold dusty floor. So I don’t know what’s up with him right now. I want to get him to eat as soon as possible.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: He would open his mouth in his tank sometimes and lick his mouth he’s been squinting a lot
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: boba, and he’s around 3 months maybe a bit older
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so, not yet
Answered by DavidH1117 in 15 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DavidH1117
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, I'm Dr. Hannon. I'll be assisting you today. It sounds like Boba feels pretty bad. He certainly could have taken a blow to the head or injured his eye during the fall, but these guys tend to be pretty tough with things like that. I would be more concerned with his ambient heat and calcium balance. Leopard geckos need regular calcium supplementation, but the must have a full-spectrum UV light in order to absorb it properly. Also, if you're using a conductive heat source, like a heat mat, it's better to pair it with a radiant heat source, like a heat lamp or thermal emitter to increase heat availability and decrease the risk of thermal burns. But any time that I see a skinny gecko, especially if it came from a commercial source, I always have to be concerned for something infectious, like parasites, cryptosporidiosis, or atadenovirus infection. I've attached a good care sheet for leopard geckos. You can syringe-feed him a gruel made from canned kitten food or meat baby food, but ultimately you'll probably need to take him to a reptile vet to get all of the answers. If you don't already have one, you can find one near you at https://arav.org.

Customer
Okay thank you, ***** ***** you think will happen he refuses to eat from a syringe
Customer
I got him directly from a breeder
Customer
Do I reply here or through number?

Hold him gently and support his head, and try to introduce the syringe the syringe at the very tip of his mouth where his jaw pressure is the weakest. Use the end of the syringe to gently pull down his lower jaw and the squirt it into his mouth. Hopefully at some point along this path he'll get agitated and try to bite you, which makes it much easier.

Customer
Any specific gruel to recommend?

A gruel made from canned kitten food or meat baby food

Customer
Okay thank you, I'll try that

You're welcome. Good luck with him.

Customer
Sorry to be texting at this time but I just noticed a little thing, maybe shed in boba's eye, it looks like a tiny string. How should I get that out? Also update: he's able to eat a bit from the syringe which is good, thank you for all of the help!
Try to gently tease it out with a moist q-tip.
Customer
Boba is starting to twitch
He probably needs calcium
Customer
He twitched after I gave him some calcium

It's not going to work immediately. What I should have said was that his calcium balance needs to be restored.

Customer
Okay, thank you, ***** ***** given him calcium and D3 in his baby food

Good luck with him

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DavidH1117
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DavidH1117
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.