We have a leopard gecko who is lethargic. Probably about a week - but yesterday we noticed a more significant change in

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hello we have a leopard gecko who is lethargic
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the leopard gecko been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: probably about a week - but yesterday we noticed a more significant change in behavior. no real stool.
JA: Could the leopard gecko have eaten something unusual?
Customer: i don't think so. we feed Buddy crickets. his skin seems to be peeling... i've heard that crickets can bite the gecko... but it looks more like he is shedding. but he's having trouble moving his front leg
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and he's about 6-8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: we gave him super worms a a little bit of kale last night
Answered by DrRoyC in 21 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrRoyC
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello,Customerresponding to your message regarding Buddy. Anorexia and lethargy in reptiles has many causes and indicates underlying illness. To warm, hydrate and to help with shed, soak in warm and shallow filtered water for 5 minutes 3 times day. Photos and video help, use paper clip icon and please upload. We will discuss further when you reply.
Customer
Thank you
Customer
This is Buddy
Customer
Customer attachment 11/15/2020 4:30:16 PM
Customer
Hi Dr. Roy - thank you for your response.
Is shedding using traumatic for them?
He seems very lethargic but i did see a stool in his cage today. We gave him tiny bits of fresh kale and in addition to crickets (which he's always eaten) we gave him super worms.
Photo of Buddy helps, Thanks. Eyelids are slightly thick, possible Vitamin A deficiency, thin, abnormal shed, he is sick. Goal is tokeep hydrated and warm and alive until seeing by a reptile veterinarian.
Customer
Is it normal to shed at 7 or 8 years old? he's very skinny and has never shed like this.
If you can find clear Pedilyte at pharmacy or Walmart, using it with equal parts of filtered water to soak is better than just water
No, shed is abnormal & he is sick.
Customer
ok - so 1/2 & 1/2 water and pedilyte (clear) and soak him in his shallow bowl for 5 mins 3 x's a day and take him to the vet tomorrow when they open.
Use ARAV.ORG and go online to find reptile veterinarian in area and make appointment Monday morning.
Correct, at 90 degrees.
Customer
the water temp?
With Covid, clear Pedilyte has been hard to find
the water temperature
Customer
ok, thank you.should i remove the crickets from his home? would they bite him?
Customer
ok thank you. and the super worms? or leave those?
Customer
ok. thank you so much.
Welcome. Our thread remains open for five days follow up questions and concerns are welcome.Customer
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrRoyC
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrRoyC
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.