I’m concerned my bearded dragon may have mouth rot. I just noticed last night the tip of his tongue is black and thought

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I’m concerned my bearded dragon may have mouth rot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the Bearded Dragon had this mouth rot?
Customer: i just noticed last night the tip of his tongue is black and thought I would look into it this morning. He hasn’t been eating his salad as much. Just his insects too
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Dax. One year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so
Answered by Dr. Bryd in 7 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Bryd
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello! Welcome to Just Answer....This is Dr. B here to help!

Customer
Hello. I'm trying to get a picture or video but it's not working out. The tip of my bearded dragons tongue seems darker and I've noticed he won't eat salad like he use to.
Customer
Customer attachment 11/8/2020 5:15:34 PM

I do see pic- thanks. Give me a second to open pic and review case

The tongue is not in focus on the pic- can you send another one?

Customer
I don't think I'm going to be able too. He was over drinking water.
Customer
It's just black on the tip

ok, no problem .

Customer
I'm trying! What do you think of what you can see? Or what would you do if it is discolored on the tip?
Customer
Customer attachment 11/8/2020 5:35:25 PM
Customer
Should I order some vitamins and see how he is on after taking that a few days

I did see picture and it is abnormal color of tongue- I recommend you bring him to vet to get a closer look and so they can investigate the cause and maybe try a round of anti-inflammatory meds

Customer
Ok thank you

No, I don't think vitamin will be helpful. But you should do calcium on food 2 to 3 per week regardless of tongue

Customer
Yeah I do have the calcium. I was just looking it up to see if I can mix that with water because I think he would get more that way.

It depends what type of supplement you have

Customer
Customer attachment 11/8/2020 5:43:52 PM

You have to read on back to see if that is an option. I don't have owners put it in water but I do have them sprinkle it on wet veggies. You could mix it and syringe feed him water but I would not leave it to sit in water bowl

Customer
Ok good idea thank you.

Yes, no problem. This is something that you don't have to run into ER vet tonight but I would get him in next 5 days

Customer
Ok thank you.

You are welcome ! Have a good day! Hope he gets better quickly

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Bryd
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Bryd
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.