I have a leopard gecko and today I noticed that his toes were and crooked. He is fairly new and has not shed yet so

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a leopard gecko and today I noticed that his toes were white and crooked. He is fairly new and has not shed yet so maybe it is that? I am just worried because this is my first gecko and I’m not sure if i’m doing something wrong on my end! Please Help!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the leopard gecko been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: Not that’s I have notice
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Draco
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Answered by Dr. Michelle in 10 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Michelle
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi! I'm Dr. Michelle and would like to help you with Draco.

I have 10 years of experience in small animals and pocket pets

My working hours are M-F 2AM to 11AM EST. Responses made outside of this range can have a delay but will be answered.

The platform will automatically send a request for a phone call that you do not have to accept and we can continue with texting

Customer
Hello!

From what you are describing, it sounds like Draco may have some retained shed on his toes that can cause this. I would recommend working with him to help get the retained shed off. This website has great information with helping to remove the shed: http://www.geckosetc.com/htm/care.htm#shedding

The biggest thing that Draco needs is the humidity to help remove the excess skin and then during his normal sheds.

Customer
Ok! Thank you so much! Should i be worried that it may be MBD?

If the increased humidity and "soaking" is not helping then I would recommend seeing an exotic veterinarian to help remove.

When you touch the toes doe they seem rubbery? Does any other part of him seem rubbery/pliable that shouldn't be? Any lethargy?

Customer
No. He is eating well snd still wants to come out of his cage and crawl on my hands. His legs seem sturdy. I'm worried I may not be giving him enough calcium. Are there any other vitamins i should be giving him?

From that then it does not sound like MBD. With MBD you will noticable see and feel the way the bones will become rubbery because of the lack of calcium. I had an anole when I was a teenage (thinking I was giving enough calcium) that developed MBD and we could tell because of the rubbery jaw which is very typically to see in reptiles with MBD. Sorry for that tangent.

To help with the calcium supplement and prevent MBD in Draco it is best to gut load the crickets. For gut loading crickets I recommend Flukers High Calcium Cricket Diet or T-Rex Cricket Gut Load ILF, and give them pieces of orange or carrot to eat as well. If you are buying one or many dozen crickets from the pet store, put the crickets in a separate container with the cricket gut load and orange slices for at least several hours before you feed them to your geckos. Feed only as many crickets as your gecko can eat at one time, or the crickets will pass the nutritious food and fill their bellies with gecko feces or dead crickets they find in the gecko cage.

Customer
Thank You so much for all the help! Hopefully his feet will be back to normal soon with no further problems

You are welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Michelle
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Michelle
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.