They all of a sudden are sitting at the bottom of the tank and kicking up a lot of sand. Red eared slidder. Only the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: They all of a sudden are sitting at the bottom of the tank and kicking up a lot of sand
JA: What type of reptile are we talking about?
Customer: red eared slidder
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Red Eared Slider's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: only the past day or two
JA: What type of food does the Red Eared Slider normally eat?
Customer: River shrimp
JA: What's the Red Eared Slider's name?
Customer: I have two ones name is ***** ***** the others is jack
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: umm they are both still very active but seem to spend way more time the. Usual just sitting at the bottom of the tank and kicking up Sandro the point it clouds up the entire tank
Answered by PitRottMommy in 34 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that Zero and Jack have you concerned.

First, let us discuss the sand. Sand is a very high-risk substrate for reptiles as it can accidentally be ingested and cause gastric impaction. I strongly recommend using either no substrate at all in their swimming tank or using rocks large enough that they won't fit inside of their mouths.

I don't see an age listed on these two, so if they are kept together and they are adults, we need to be concerned about breeding. Kicking up substrate can be done in an effort to find a place to lay eggs. If either of them are wild-caught, they may have come to you gravid.

I'd like to help further, expanding on what you may be seeing, but it would help me greatly to have a few photos of their habitat and more details on their age. Can you supply this in your reply?

It has been my honor to assist you today, I hope this information has been helpful as I take a great deal of pride in my work. I will be standing by if you have any questions I did not address, please feel free to reply and I will respond further. If this has helped you for the time being but you need more assistance in the near future, I’m just a message away :)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.