Bearded dragon arm looking a little out of place. I just saw it today, he is not walking on it. he is a baby but not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: bearded dragon arm looking a little out of place
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Bearded Dragon's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: i just saw it today, he is not walking on it. he is a baby but not too young
JA: Does anything look different with the Bearded Dragon's legs/feet?
Customer: yes the arm is just kinda laying there with no movement
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: spike
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no mam
Answered by Jav917 in 27 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Wglcome, My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with 40 yeats in Reptile Health.

Do you have a Hammock in the tank?

Is the dragon housed alobe?

UVB loght, age and syrength?

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
i do not have a hammock in the tank. i got him from petsmart. i put my heat lamp on at night and turn off my uvb. he is pretty small i dont know exactly his age. i feed him crickets everyday and cover them in calcium. ive been trying to feed him kale but he doesnt seem to like it.
Customer
Customer attachment 8/26/2020 2:34:49 AM
Customer
he is still very alert and eats.
Customer
i see no bone sticking out or anything nor bleeding
Customer
he seems very tired though and my heart breaks :(

How old is the IVB light, srength and brand?

Do you have a full spectrum basking light?

Diet Veggies?

Substrate used?

Joan

Customer
but ive been using the heat light day and night because it seemed to give off more heat? should i stop and start back on putting the full spectrum basking light on in the day?
he eats crickets and thats all he seems to like right now. i bought the lights and tank from someone so im not sure what brand the bulbs are.

O am going to type your answer and sent in parts, so please be patient.

Joan

Customer
okay thank you.

The substrate .should be solid, no sand, desert blend, or bark.

Loghting is very important as it aids with appetite, activity and ober all health. IVB should be a 10% UVB light. The UVB needs to be replaced every 6 months.The UVB works with the calcium supplement to prevent metabolic bone disease. It metabolizes the calcalcium into D3 in the body.

You do need a Full Spectrum Basking light. This aids in digestion. Tje red light can cause thermal burms and should not be used inless the yemps drop below 78 at night.

You need to ise the twp recommended lights 12 -14 hours a day.

More to come

Customer
i need that white light to be on 12-14 hours a day correct?

Diet under a year should have 80% live prey, no meal or super worms. The Veggies should be 20%. Yje libk below is color colded. Please follow the greem coded foods:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

A;; foods should be duseted wirh calciun 5 dats a week and 2 days with a Vitamin.

More to come

I l.ooked at the leg and the upper leg is very swillen. This can be due to an infection, gout in the elbow joint, a sprain or break. I suggest a Herp Vet bisit to have the leg seen and an X-ray if needed. The Vet can give medication to reduce the swekking as well as other treatments.

I suggest that you give a warm soak in a shallow basin for 15-20 mins 3 days a week.

Please reply to discuss this information. I I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service Positive.

Joan

Customer
where can i get the shallow basin?
Customer
could the break heal on its own since he is so young?

The basking light give heat. Flukers make basking lifgr as Zoomed. They have 75 watt as well as 100 watt.

The temps in the tank should be 105-119 in the basking area that is under the basking bulb.

The Ambient temp in the middle of the yank which is the air temop mid 90s

Cool area the floor of the tank mid 80s

The basking light should effectively cate for these temps in the day time. The basking light is full spectrum whire light. he infra red bulb can cause theremal burns to your dragon. Ise at night only if the temps go below 78 at night.

The basin can be a small Runnetmade bin and you can get them in Walmart and Target.

Joan

Did you need more help? Did you fibe my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Joan

Customer
thank you for your answers.

You ate very weloome.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.