I feel my bearded dragon has a respiratory infection. I called vet but can’t get me in till next Tuesday and a day or 2.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi I feel my bearded dragon has a respiratory infection
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the respiratory infection yet? How long has this been going on with the Bearded Dragon?
Customer: I called vet but can’t get me in till next Tuesday and a day or 2
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: gus
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: that is all he is only 3 months old
Answered by Jav917 in 45 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with ovet 49 years in

Reptiles.

I want to pregace my information request to let you know the Expets on the site are not allowed to prescribe medications due to all medic ions wothout an in pretson visit.

Would you like to continue?

Joan

Customer
Hi
Customer
I would like to continue

Thank you.

Do you hear any clicling or wheezing?

Any disckarge from nose or mouth?

Aee of Dragon?

Any open mouth breathing?

I may have more questions after these.

Customer
Open mouth breathing outside of basking. Even when out of the enclosure is happening. He makes a clicking sound when he opened his mouth but I can tell when breathing. It’s almost like he is breathing heavier when he is mouth breathing there is no secretions but is face is about to shed and is over nostrils

Thank you. All you have described are sigms of a URI. The big issue with Reptiles is that they are prey animals and hide illness well. Whem they do show a sign they are ill we have a limited time to get them help before they go down to crirical.

I have to suhhest having the dragon seen bt a Herp Vet for a hands on exam and treatment. Most likelu will be an Antibiotic and possible breathing treatment.

Please reply to discuss this info. If I have fully addressed yoit concerns, please take a moment to rate my service so I can be credited by the site for my answer.

Joan

Customer
Ok thank you I will try to get into any vet I can ASAP . Should I be extremely worried

Male sure to see a Herp Vet or Exotic Vet who know reptiles. Yoi caught it early they should be able to treat the URI. I do not want it to go into Pneumonia if not addressed.

Joan

Customer
Thank you so so much i had an appointment set for next Tuesday but I will make sure he gets in as soon as possible

Y es, the soonet the better.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.