Our leopard gecko is a male, less than 2 years old, and looks like he has some poop dried or stuck in his vent. He is in

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our leopard gecko is a male, less than 2 years old, and looks like he has some poop dried or stuck in his vent. He is in a terrarium with a eco mat/carpet thing, so no sand, bark, or anything that could get stuck.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dryness? Has the leopard gecko been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: Noticed it last night. Haven’t noticed licking or rubbing though he looked like he was about to shed skin a few days ago and may have overnight.
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Sam
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He are some meal worms last week and appeared to vomit them right back up. But then he was fine. Shed his skin overnight (we think) and had a regular poop two or three days ago.
Answered by Jav917 in 27 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Thanks
Customer
Here is a picture of it if that helps.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech woth over 40 years in Per Health.

Has your Hecko been licking ar the bent area?

Does what you see seemed to be hard and dried along the Vent?

Have you tried to clean the area?

Joan

Customer
He has not been licking it. It does seem hard and dried. We have let him soak in warm water, but that’s it.

I suspect what you are seeing is something we see during breeding season in Male Geckos. Ir is called a sperm plug. Make geckos will run and lick the ptuoon tib area for want of a better description male heckos ,asturbate and as a result they het a sperm plug...

Tp help resolve this issue you can give a warm soak in some warm water and gently work to help remove it. This is normal for this time of year in male geckos.

Please replt to discuss this in and for concerns.

Joan

Customer
Thank you so much!
Customer
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Smiles... You are Very welcome.

Joan

Customer
Here is how it looks now. Not quite 24 hours since we took your advice. Thanks again.

(t looks as if there is a little funfus or burn area there, The Vent itself looks good it it tha black spit below.m

Please take a siluted Betadine and dilute with warm water and gently dab it and then follow up with Plain Neosporin. Repeat 4 tumes a day and keep a watch on it.

If Usuing an Under tank heater turn the heat down a bit as thet can get warm and cause a burn,

Joan

Customer
Okay. Thank you. We do not use an under tank heater.
Customer
Here it is close up if you’re referring to the one below his vent. I feel like it’s been there for awhile/just thought it was one of his spots. Eek! We’ll definitely try your suggestion.

You ate welcome.

Joan

keep an eye on the stool. I see traces of whay looks like some dark stool which can inducate a skme loose or blood iThe stiil should be brown and not black. This may be a result of cle a parasite issue.

I du suhhest a stool sample be rum. Parasites can come in with feeders.

Joan

Customer
Ok. Thank you for your help
Customer
He pooped while we were trying to get the sperm plugs out last night and it was brown.

The white that comes out with the stool is urates and is a more solid urome and the actual stool is btown and they are both passes at the same time.

Joan

Customer
He had white and brown

I petsomally geel a yearly stool and well check is wise. My oldest hecko lived to 12 years. When they het gppd cate they can love a long life.

Joan

Customer
This is great advice. We’ve had him for about 18 months.

So glad to been of help.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.