I have crested geckos. My one adolescent gecko (just over a year) has what looks like dry shed on top of it's head. When

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I have crested geckos. My one adolescent gecko (just over a year) has what looks like dry shed on top of it's head. When I touch it, it feels rough. She's had it for a few weeks now. it looks like it has a bluish hue to it. I got Repti shedding aid to try and see if that assist with removing it. can you give me any advice?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the gecko been licking or rubbing the dryness?
Customer: No it hasn't
JA: What's the gecko's name and age?
Customer: Mallory - she's 1 yr and 1 month
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She acts as normal as far as I can tell. She has been eating fine I think and moving fine. I have her in a large critter keeper with her sister. I monitor their poop and food intake as best as I can. They are quite small for their age as well as I don't feed them crickets but I do give them food with ground crickets/larva in it every other day
Answered by Jav917 in 29 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Mby name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 40 years in Teptile Health.

Can you post a Pic of the area of concern?

What is the humidity in the enclosure?

Type of substrate used?

Diet?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
Hi Joan, Here is the picture. I hope you can see. Humidity is usually between 60-70 - I spray twice a day and let it dry a bit during the day. When I spray at night it’s around 50-60. I’m using paper towel right now to monitor their bowel movements. Diet wise I feed them pangea gecko diet with insects - the crickets and larva are ground up and mixed with the food. I also feed them repashy. No supplements

I enlarged the oic on my ohone so I can ge a good look at the area. I can see the shed. to help gert thet off You can take a gause pad and wet with warm water and apply to the area several times a day for about 5-7 mins are a rime. The warm warer on a gause pad should help loosen the shed where yoy can work it off with a Q-tip.

Humidity is the key to oprevent shedding issues, If bad sheds continue U would have the Crestie checked for a Viramin A issue.

I think you will find the warm water on the gauze pad will really help.

Joan

Customer
Thank you, i’ll try that. Appreciate it

You are welcome.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.