My box turtle an egg She had it in her smaller container and wasn't able to put it in dirt, I placed it in some top

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My box turtle laid an eggShe had it in her smaller container and wasn't able to put it in dirt, I placed it in some top soil , what else do I need to do , and is it normal that she only had 1Thank you
Answered by PitRottMommy in 20 hours 2 years ago
imglogo
PitRottMommy
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hi, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and I'm happy to help. Please stand by while I have a chance to type.

Typically Box turtles produce under 10 eggs per clutch. 1-2 eggs is not abnormal. With such a low count, be sure that she has an area to dig and lay her eggs as it's likely she may have more to produce. That said, was your girl bred? Is she wild-caught? If so, how long have you had her? Do we know for sure that this is a viable egg?

Customer
We have had her for 2 years and she was housed with a male both of whom were rescued from the highway. We didn't intend on breeding her its just kinda of happened.

I appreciate the additional info. If you want the best chance of her egg (or eggs) hatching, I would suggest using an incubator and these instructions: http://www.aboxturtle.com/box_turtle_incubation.htm You can skip the first section which talks about wild box turtles and trying to save nests. The lower half offers the info you'll need. Alternately, you can leave the egg in her habitat but be sure that it's free from disturbances such as her climbing back into the box. If the environment is stable enough for her to happily exist (temps, humidity, etc are right) the egg should hatch in about 90 days. Aim for a stable temp around 80F if you go this route. It is recommended to use vermiculite and some sphagnum moss to incubate the egg as this is similar to what they'd receive in the wild.

It has been my honor to assist you today, I hope this information has been helpful as I take a great deal of pride in my work. I will be standing by if you have any questions I did not address, please feel free to reply and I will respond further. Please be sure to leave a positive rating or issue thanks before signing off today so that I know you received my response above. It’s imperative for this to be done for the website to compensate me for helping you. Thank you and stay safe! :)

Customer
I removed the egg from her enclosure and put it in its own container safe put i used top soil with no additives , I put a smaller of dirt on top of it , should the egg be uncovered he didn't say if so in the provided link

I went back to check and the info is here:

"Set up a disposable storage container big enough to hold the eggs (you can see some examples below). Fill it half way with moist vermiculite (available at garden centers). To moisten the vermiculite , soak it then squeeze out any excess water. Drill many holes in the lid. The most critical issue is maintaining high humidity. If the eggs dry out they will start to collapse. Bury it half way in the vermiculite and cover with a damp piece of paper towel or some strands of damp sphagnum moss. Put the lid on loosely."

Be sure that the temp of the container stays around 80F. Any lower and the egg may not be viable. In case it's not clear, only the bottom half of the egg should be in substrate, the other 50% should be covered lightly with moss. This helps to ensure the humidity remains high enough to sustain growth.

A pleasant good day to you, JACustomer. I’m checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. I sent my answer yesterday and haven’t heard back from you. Did you receive it? If so, will you please provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have to finish our conversation? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. NOTE: If you have received this message but not my answer above, please log into the website as there may be too much text for the app to easily transmit to your end. If this isn’t possible, let me know and I’ll share a screenshot of my reply for you.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
PitRottMommy
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
PitRottMommy
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.