My 4 year old leopard gecko has been having bad sheds most of the winter. This last time his left eye looks cloudy and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 4 year old leopard gecko has been having bad sheds most of the winter. This last time his left eye looks cloudy and is half closed since he shed 2 days ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have there been any recent changes to the leopard gecko's diet?
Customer: Not really
JA: Is his skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: It's kinda bumpy but no more than usual. He doesn't seem irritated
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 tears in Eepriles.

Do you have a Moist hide?

Diet?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
He is fed meal worms rolled in calcium
Customer
Sorry, yes he has a humid hide

What you are seeing in the eyes ate retained eye caps ot retained shed i the eyes, There are two reasons we see nad shed and one is nor enough humidity or a Vitamin A deficiency which can cause bad sheds. For the eyes use some plain sterile saline a drop in the affected eye 4 times a day to jeep it moisr. You will need to have a Herp Vet remove the eye caps. If let on, the eyes will result in accumulating in the eyes and cause blinness,

I suggest adding a Reptile Vitamin

Joan

,

Customer
I can't really tell what's in her eye. Do we wait to see if the eye drops work or will we for sure need to see a vet? I don't know if the vet is open on weekends. Will the gecko be okay until Monday?
Customer
Also we have some vitamins for our dart frog that says it's good for geckos that has vitamin a we will start getting to he.

If you post a pic of the eyes I can tell if it is retained shed. which is common in Les when the have a shedding issue.

Joan

Customer
Customer attachment 7/11/2020 4:38:45 AM
Customer
This is her good eye
Customer
First pic was her bad eye (left)

Repti-vite is what I suggest if that is what you have it is great.

Ad far as the saline it will only moiturise and not get them out.

I just viewed borth eyes ad it does looj k like theew is a thin layer of retained shed and I highlt suggest seeung the Herp Vet to confirm and treat tge wyw,

Joan

Customer
The only saline drops we have is contact solution, will that work or should we run get something. Will the gecko be okay for the night?

the drops you have do not have anythung else in them, you can use them. He will be okay tonight, but ober time retained shed can cut off circularion in feet anc cause blindness if not removed becuse it dries and yje new shed add layers to the eye.

Joan

I will be signing for the night. Please leave any concerns and I Jowill get back with you. as soon as I am on tomorrow.

Joan

Customer
No problem. Thank you.

Ypu are welcome,

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.