I think our leopard gecko has MBD. he's dragging his back legs and not wanting to eat or move much. If we smash up a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think our leopard gecko has MBD. he's dragging his back legs and not wanting to eat or move much. If we smash up a cricket he'll eat but he won't hunt
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the leopard gecko's appetite?
Customer: About a week ago
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Yes
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Leonidas, 4-5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Leonidas?
Customer: My son didn't realize the importance of dusting crickets with calcium when he switched from mealworms to crickets. I'm guessing he went 3 weeks or so without calcium supplements
Answered by Jav917 in 16 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 yeaeain ptiles.

MBF is treatable. You need to habe the hecko in for some injectiuons of a special calcoum called calcium Glubionate.

Until you do this we can start some supportive care. Dare a warm soak for hydration and ass some calcium powder in the soak. Support the Gecko in the warm water. This is hydration and the hecko can absorn the skin and vent area.

Next is supplemental feeding. Take sombae chicken baby e stage 1 and add a pinch of calcium to the baby food and drop a dab on the snout and allow the Hecko to liuck ir off, Tepeat iuntil he refused the mixture and then do it a second time in the evening,

You will need to add a UVB light which will metabolize the claicum into D3 in the bodt. I suggest a Repttisun 10.0 UVB bulb.

When in the soak I suggest to getly work the legs so the muscles do not atrophy. Thus is suppirtive care and the Hecko will need to see the Vet for the hands on care to get him going again.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.