I have a bearded dragon that is roughly 8-9 months old. he eats meal worms daily and usually goes to the bathroom every

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a bearded dragon that is roughly 8-9 months old. he eats meal worms daily and usually goes to the bathroom every day or every other day. He hasn't gone in 4 days and we are concerned. He is still eating.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the worms?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: Has the Bearded Dragon vomited recently? Any signs of blood in his stool?
Customer: No
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: Copper
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Answered by Anna in 3 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. I’m going to type up a first aid measure for you, and will be back as soon as I finish. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting.

You'll need to buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and some baby food prunes. Drop a small dollop of the prunes right on the end of Copper's snout. Most of the time, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If he does, wait about 45 minutes. If he refuses to lick off the prunes, just go straight to the next step.

Prepare a shallow warm (100*F) bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Copper for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent (where droppings pass out) for an additional 10 minutes. Go in one direction only. That may be enough to help him pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely. You can repeat this process twice per day. It usually works the first or second time.

The mealworms are most likely the cause of the problem. Mealworms and superworms are not good foods because they contain too much chitin and can't be digested properly. They're OK for some other lizards, but not for beardies. . Crickets that are no bigger than the space between your beardie’s eyes area better choice. Silk worms, dubia roaches, and Phoenix worms are other excellent foods. I'm going to give you a link to a reputable and easy to understand site for information on feeding because there is too much for me to explain here:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help.

Customer
Thank you

You’re welcome.

Customer
Customer attachment 6/29/2020 8:57:13 PM
Customer
Are these acceptable? Also how much should he eat daily?

Yes, they are fine. We usually let them eat how many they will clean up in ten minutes, twice a day.

Customer
Ok I've been feeding mealworms and dubia roaches once a day in morning and giving a salad for her to munch on all day

That’s a good schedule. Just switch out the mealworms for a better food.

Customer
Ok I've been doing like 20 mealworms. How many Phoenix worms for once a day?

It depends on the size of the mealworms you were using. If they were close to the size of the Phoenix worms, then 20 of them. If the mealworms were bigger than The Phoenix worms, you’ll need to feed more. Just aim for the same volume, rather than a number.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.