I have 2 bearded dragons both males. Their 5 months old only a week ago I found out that one of them that I thought as a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I have 2 bearded dragons both males. Their 5 months old only a week ago I found out that one of them that I thought as a female was a male. We kept them together all this time and decided to do it till we finish making our new enclosure as we saw no fighting. A couple days ago my bearded dragon had my other bearded dragons foot in his mouth, then attacked his tape (the tale is fine now). But with the foot I’m unsure if it’s broken or fractured, It looks a tiny bit swollen.
Answered by Jav917 in 39 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My mae is Joan and I am a Vet Tech with over 49 years In teotiles.

Did the Pet shop tell you that two Dragons whether two males or two femakes or a male and gemal should never be housed toether?

Each scenarui I have mentuined as far as pairs holds issues that can cause a problem and sole loss.

You will need to separate them tonight if pissible. Ar this age they atat showing Dominance and you may wind up with a dragom with a loss of limb, serious injury or death.

I you have some type of enclosure for tonight and pick yo a 20 gallon long tank at Petco and sometimes they have them a dollar a gallon. That wull save Unjries or a life.

Please reoly to duscuss thus info,

Joan

I suhh

Customer
I have separated them as soon as this happened. They suspected that they could be a girl and a boy from the start so it should be fine. Are u able to look at his toe and tell me what u think it could be

We do not even house a male and gemae together inless for bree, overbredding. The make is brought to the femae to bteed and then he is removed. A male gets very aggtessive during puberty and will attack her. When about nine months he will contunously try to breed her which can wind up with her injured, over bred causing a lack of calcium in her bones leading to Metabolic bone Disease, or death. Two females will gight the same wat two males wii. U tell keeps never houise more than one Dragon per enclosure. The Pet shop should have neen able to tell you this info to male you aware befote buyimh two at the same time.

Joan

Customer
I’m aware of this now and we are making another enclosure and have separated them, my main concern is his foot.
Customer
All reptile vets are very far from me so I was wondering if you’ll be able to tell me if anything is wrong with his foot

Please post a pic that is clse up and clear and I will rake a look at the foot./

If you need correct diet I would be happy to assisrt yo. .u with that. Pet shops irrirate me since theyt give such poor info, I get a lor of people coming here and I have to correct the weng info as well as tryt to get the dragon feeling better. Per shios consider the pers they sell disposable pets becyse the money is in the items you need to keep the pets.

Joan

Customer
This is his foot before (right)
Customer
This is now

I suspect the other dragon has taken parts of his toes the one looks fresh and swollen, the other side looks old and there is ome retained shed on the rughtr back foort. The left foor is a fresh toe nip.

Take some Betadine and mis with warm water to a dark tea color and soak the foot that is injured for 15 mins. do not allow him to drink it. Follow yo with Neosporin. Do this three times a day until it is healed which could be a couple of weeks.

Please let me know if I can assist you further. If I have addressed all your concernsms, please take a moment to rate mty service Posirive. You can find the stars in the upper or lower left cormer of my post.

Joan

Customer
Thank you! So you don’t think I should take it to a vet right now? It doesn’t look broken?

It is your choice to see a Herp Vet, The toe issues are a result of bites from the other dragon. If broken not much can be done, The toes I woeeied about is the toe that is swillen and raw on the left back foot. I viewed the pic enlarged on my phone,

Joan

Customer
Okay, so I’ll soak all the feet in betadine
Customer
Then apply the neosporin cream after it?

Do nor foget to dikute it. Tou can do a regular warm water soak 3 days a week for 15 mons.

Afre rating you will be able to add me as a favorire Rxpert for furure help

Joan

Customer
Sorry can u check your spelling in the first sentence. I’m unable to understand

I am having keuboard issues. Wairung to ger ut fixed, but Covid19 has med me hold off.

The info is correct even with the errors.

Joan

Customer
Okay all good. I know info is correct but what do u mean dikute it ?

Dilute the Betadine wam water to a dark tea color.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.