Leopard Gecko has not eaten in at least a week. Is making a sort of growling noise I’ve never heard him make before.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Leopard Gecko has not eaten in at least a week. Is making a sort of growling noise I’ve never heard him make before
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the leopard gecko also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: that is a possibility
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Ziggy 7 or 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so
Answered by Anna in 5 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. Some additional information may help me determine the best steps for you to take to help Ziggy.

Has he been pooping normally?

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the cage?

What substrate do you use on the cage floor?

Is he breathing normally?

Thank you.

Customer
Not pooping as much
72 and 83 degrees
Aquarium carpet and a container with coconut fiber bedding that we moisten and that's where he poops
I think he is breathing normally

Thank you. I have two things for you to try. Because he hasn’t been eating, he may be dehydrated. You’ll need some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Make it deep enough to cover the vent- where droppings pass out. Reptiles can absorb fluids and nutrients through their skin and vents. Soak Ziggy for 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely.

Next, you need to increase his temperatures. The cage is too cold, and after months of being chilly, appetite loss often occurs. The warm side should be 88*F and the cool side 82*F. You may have to buy a ceramic heat emitter to achieve these temps. The emitters look like a light fixture, but only give off heat, not light.

After Ziggy has had a long soak and has been warmer for a few hours, try feeding him. If he still won’t eat then, come back here and let me know. We’ll proceed from there.

Customer
Great. I will do all of that.
Thanks so much for the advice Anna

You’re welcome. I hope it will solve the problem, but if not, just come back.

Customer
Ok
Customer
Hi Anna,
I did all the things you suggested.
I thought Ziggy had eaten a cricket last night.
But I just found it hopping around.
He seems a bit more energetic but still has not eaten or pooped yet
Thanks Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for the update. When those measures don’t help, it usually means the lizard is sick. I think it would be best to schedule a vet appointment for Ziggy. This site has a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Ziggy may have a respiratory infection or parasites. The sooner it’s taken care of, the better. You can give him another Pedialyte soak to keep him hydrated in the meantime.

If you think of anything else, just let me know.

Anna

Customer
Ok thanks

You’re welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.