My son scared my leopard gecko and it dropped its tail. What can I put on it to keep it clean and safe. Hes/she is a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi! My son scared my leopard gecko and it dropped its tail. What can I put on it to keep it clean and safe
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: Hes/she is a baby, we adopted it about a month ago, so far we call him Little as we arent sure of sex yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of!
Answered by Anna in 1 hour 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles. I’ll be glad to help you today. I’ll be right back with some information for you as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. I'm not a fast typist, and I wanted to find a link for you. You can put a little plain Neosporin on the tail for the first couple of days. Do make sure the gecko is on a solid substrate, like paper towels or ceramic tile. Loose substrates make healing more difficult. The warm side of the cage should be at 88*F.
The tail will probably regenerate within six weeks. It won't look quite the same as the original tail, but it will be a functional tail. This site has photos of how tail regeneration usually proceeds:

https://pethelpful.com/reptiles-amphibians/Leopard-Gecko-Dropped-Tail

Watch for signs of infection, such as failure to heal, swelling, redness spreading out from the tail, appetite loss, or lethargy. If any of those occur, you'll need to see a vet. If that becomes necessary, this site has a directory:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope Little will heal uneventfully.

Anna

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.