My beardie, 2+ years old, has been frantically pacing back and forth in his terrarium, up against the glass, as if he is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My beardie, 2+ years old, has been frantically pacing back and forth in his terrarium, up against the glass, as if he is trying to get out...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this pacing? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: He's been doing it for almost 2 weeks now, it seems to be getting worse by the day. He looks to be stressed out, occasionally puffing his beard..
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Bearded Dragon with his pacing?
Customer: I let him out the terrarium to run around the house, but he heads right to the porch door and does the same thing there..
JA: And what's the Bearded Dragon's name and age?
Customer: Tybearius, 2 and a half years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tybearius?
Customer: Not to my knowledge, seems healthy otherwise. Although he has been pooping more frequently than normal
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 tears in Reptile Health.

Have you notices any weight gain?

Are you sure you have a male dragon?

Is the dragon glass dancing?

UVB strength, age and brand?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
Definitely a Male beardie, no weight gain or loss, and haven't done anything different with the lighting or fixtures. Not exactly glass dancing, more like pacing along the edge of the glass, pushing his nose against it trying to get out..

This is Spring and Dragons are mostly out of Brumation. The two things we we are seeing in both male and fenale Dragons are typical for the season. Females are vert active wanting to lay eggs and the male Dragons are aggitated wanting to get out and find a femal to breed with.

You can try a warm soak with him to calm him down and shorten the light cysle to 10 houts a day vs 12-14 hours if light.

This is normal behavior at this time of year.

Okease reply to discuss this info.

Joan

Customer
Thank you for the info, that's really helpful. Should I find him a female to breed with, or do you think he'll be okay without breeding in his lifetime?

I di not recommend breeding. One breeding can yeild 5 clutches of fertile eggs and little dragons. The bteeding hets rough and you will need a separate set up.

If I have addressed your concerns, olease take a moment to taye my service 5 stars.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.