We have a leopard gecko that isn’t eating well and his tail seems to be getting smaller. Its been a couple days and he

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a leopard gecko that isn’t eating well and his tail seems to be getting smaller
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the leopard gecko's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: its been a couple days and he seems lethargic
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: not that we can tell
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: Ghost
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: we’ve only had him since New Year’s so he’s only 7-8 months old
Answered by Anna in 14 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Hello?
Hello and welcome. You were speaking with a bot before, and it takes a few minutes to get transferred to a real person. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping reptiles.
Customer
Hi! I am Amber and we are worried about my sons Diablo blanco leopard gecko, Ghost.
Customer
The exotic Vet in our area is closed until Monday and no one will see him.
Hi Amber. I’m sorry to hear about this problem. Some additional information may help me determine the best steps for you to take.What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the cage?Has Ghost been pooping normally?Thank you.
Customer
Warm side is around 90-95 and cool side is 80
Customer
Since he hasn't been eating he hasn't been pooping normally
Customer
His diet consists of crickets that we put in calcium and multi vitamin powder. He has eaten mealworms before but they are not a regular part of his diet. His tail has also gotten really skinny.

Thank you. Your temperatures are good. I asked about pooping because I wanted to make sure there isn’t an intestinal blockage, which can result in appetite loss. Has he pooped at all recently?

Customer
We can see poop in the cage so he has pooped in the last day or so

Ok, good. I’m going to give you a first aid measure to take every day until Ghost can be seen by a vet. I’ll be back as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Customer
Thank you

You’re welcome and thank you for waiting. You’ll need some Pedialyte and some plain meat baby food, such as lamb, chicken, or turkey.

One if the biggest risks of not eating is dehydration. That in itself is life threatening. We’ll start with a special soak. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Make it deep enough to cover the vent- where droppings pass out. Reptiles can absorb fluids and nutrients through their skin and vents. Soak Ghost for 20 to 30 minutes each day. Be sure to supervise closely.

The bath may be stressful for him if he is not used to the process, so let him rest in his cage for a little while before the next step. We’ll try an alternate feeding method. Drop a small dollop of the baby food right on the end of his snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If it works, it will be a way to get some nutrients into him until you can see the vet. If he won’t lick the food off, just continue the daily soaks.

There is no way for us to know exactly what is causing the problem. The vet will need to examine him and check for parasites. Our goal is to keep up his strength until the vet can help. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I’m glad to help in any way I can. I hope Ghost will quickly recover.

Anna

Customer
Thank you so much

You're very welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.