I have a panther chameleon that is about 4 months old. He was eating and seemed to be OK but recently he hasn’t been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Second opinion] Hello Pearl i have a panther chameleon that is about 4 months old. He was eating and seemed to be OK but recently he hasn’t been eating.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the chameleon's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: About a week ago and he is very lethargic. Not moving much at all
JA: Does the chameleon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: have been trying to syringe feed him carnivore care by Oxbow
JA: What's the chameleon's name?
Customer: rango
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not sure if in pain. Eyes stay pretty closed
Answered by Jav917 in 7 hours 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

This is Joan and I responded to your original question, but you opted me oyt where I could nit respond to you and then the question was closed.

The UVB should be the Reptisyn 1o,o you will need toeabes the cham weakened.check your bulb. Somerimes the pet shops will sell the 5.9, which is not strong eough, becuayse the scree filters the UVB.The calcium, should be on the food daily. Without the proper UVB and body cannot metabolize the calcium and will leave him in a weakened state.

Tje ambient temp should be about 78 and the basking tep at 95. These temps are important for digestuin of food.

Ant time a chameleon oes to the bottom og an enclosure tells me he is sick.nder the ba Reptiles are prey ammals and hde ilness well. Ehen they show they are not feeling well our time is limited to get them help. I would like to get him in a warm shallow soak for14 mins for hydration. Once out get him under the basking light. I would have him into the Herp Vet in the morning.

He is not showing specific signs, so a Vet can do some blood work and a fecal exam to determine whay the underlying cause of tje probblem is.

Please reply to discuss this info.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.