My veiled chameleon is less than I year old im pretty sure, he just finished shedding and I just make him a new

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My veiled chameleon is less than I year old im pretty sure, he just finished shedding and I just make him a new enclosure filled with more living plants and things for him to hide behind or sit on. He is more brown than usual and laying down on a bridge at the top of his cage. Is he ok? Is it normal for him to be laying down?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the chameleon last shed?
Customer: He finished shedding on his body yesterday and there is still a bit left on his tail and feet
JA: Is his skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: I dont think his skin is bumpy at all
JA: And what's the chameleon's name and age?
Customer: He name is ***** ***** about a year old maybe.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Beans?
Customer: He hasnt been as jovial or vibrant for about a week which is why I upgraded his cage to try to make him happier
Answered by Jav917 in 29 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 40 years in pHealth.

YVB loght, age, blend rand strength?

Basking light?

Diet?

Supplements and how often?

Yemo in basking area and ambient temp?

Joan

Customer
About a year old
He eats 15 mealworms a day and a bit of romaine. All his worms get dusted with calcium everyday.
His basking temperature is a little over 90 and ambient is a little over 75.
I'm not sure the exact lights but he also has a heat lamp in the corner
Customer
This is him right now
Customer
He was turning very brown on this bridge so I was telling myself that he was just blending in with it to make myself feel better

Do you use4 an auto mister?

What is the basking temp?

Joan

Customer
I have an auto mister that goes for 20 seconds every hour. The basking temp is about 98

Overall the color is not bad. He most likely was stressed with the changes which caused him to go darker.

\

I would up his basking temp to 95 and keep the ambient temp at 78. Laying on the bridge is not exactly normal, but him staying light and the warm,th is normal.

I would be concerned if he went to the bottom of the emclosure.At this time I would monitor him and hopefukkty he will start adjusting to the new surroundings and get back to normal.

Color change is not only adaptation, byt also mood.

Please reply to discuss this info.

Joan

Please let me know if you need more help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service. I do not get credit for my answers until I get a positive rating.

Joan

Customer
What colors of his should concern me? He obviously turns darker every now and then but then goes back to light eventually. Last night he got a couple black spot on him right after I changed up his cage, and I know black spots aren't good

He will get dark if if he is trying to get warm, stressed and not feeling well.

If he goes black or goes down to the bottom of the enclosure is a sign of illness.

You can try a warm soak in a shallow basin. This wull sometimes reduce stress.

Make syre your UVB light is less than 6 months ad I recommend the Teptisun 10.0 Zoomed bulb.

Right now it seems like this is stress related which usually with a change can take a day or two to readjust.

Joan

Customer
Ok, hopefully he is just getting used to his cage...

Ehen changing the habitat, is like bringing him home for the first time and he will go through the same feelings.

I would appreciate a posituve rating. You can still follow uo with me. He is acrug stressed and not sick, but I would just monitor him.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.